British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

The Rodney School, Kirklington

Description: The Rodney School

Grade: II
Date Listed: 13 May 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 242171

OS Grid Reference: SK6830857839
OS Grid Coordinates: 468308, 357839
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1134, -0.9809

Location: A617, Kirklington, Nottinghamshire NG22 8NN

Locality: Kirklington
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG22 8NN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Kirklington, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(north side)

3/116 The Rodney School


House, now school. 1779, much enlarged and altered 1904 by G.F.
Armitage for Thomas Craven. Red brick, rendered, some ashlar.
Entrance front. Hipped slate roof behind parapet shaped in the
centre with single external right and front right stacks, remains
of single stacks flanking the porte cochere and 3 stacks to the
rear. Set on a plinth. First and 2nd floor bands. Two and a
half storeys, 5 bays. The outer single bays are slightly set
back. Central porte cochere with arched entrance and decorative
spandrels flanked by single Ionic pilasters. Decorative frieze
over. Over is a single tripartite cross casement flanked by
single lozenge panels dated 1904. Further flanked by single
fluted piers which support the parapet with decorative open
carving. Outer single brackets support an architrave with single
orbs at the angles. The side walls are treated in a similar
manner. Inner arched doorway. To the right is a single
quadripartite casement and further right a single 2-light
casement. To the left is a single storey single projecting bay
with single tripartite casement and decorative parapet, further
left is a 2 storey projecting bay with doorway with part glazed
door flanked by single fluted pilasters and with glazing bar oval
panel with keyblocks over. Above is a plain frieze with outer
single panelled pilasters. Above, to the right of the porte
cochere, are 2 cross casements. To the left is a single
tripartite cross casement and in the projecting bay a single
similar smaller casement. Over the port cochere is a single 2-
light casement. To the right are 2 two light casement and to the
left a single tripartite casement with a single 2-light casement
on the far left. To the right, set back, is a two and a half
storey 3 bay wing with simlar plinth, parapet and bands. Doorway
with panelled door and to the left a single tripartite cross
casement with single overlight extending over all. Flanked by
single fluted pilasters and with 4 fleur de lys over. Projecting
is a glass lean-to supported on 2 piers. Both the first and
second floors have 2 casements, each flanked by single fluted
pilasters and with single fleur de lys over. This front with
rainwater head inscribed "I.W. 1779" and further rainwater head
inscribed " This house was reconstructed for Thomas Craven by
G.F. Armitage." Projecting from the left is a 2 storey single
bay with similar plinth and parapet and first floor and first
floor lintel bands. Single tripartite cross casement on each
floor with 2 fleur de lys over each and each flanked by single
pilasters. Between ground and first floor windows is the
remains of a single decoratively carved panel. Further left and
projecting is a 2 storey polygonal wing with similar plinth,
parapet and bands. Attached to the left is a 3 storey, mock
turret with domed roof topped with a single stack. Lower 2
storeys of the turret with blind arcading and fluted pilasters.
Small columns support the dome. Windows of this wing being cross
casements flanked by single fluted pilasters and with single
fleur de lys over. Between first floor and 2nd floor windows are
decorative panels; remains of similar panels under ground floor
windows. To the left, set back, is a 2 storey, 7 bay wing with
single ridge and left stacks and similar parapet. Having a
doorway and casements. Openings on each floor flanked by single
fluted pilasters and with fleur de lys over. Between ground and
first floor openings are single decorative panels. Over first
floor openings are single plain panels flanked by single
pilasters. North front has a 2 storey stair turret with domed
roof and frieze under. To the right is a projecting 2 storey
wooden bowed single bay. The ground floor with doorway with
glazed door and casements each opening flanked by single fluted
pilaster strips. First floor with sleeping balcony with
balustrade. Rear/main garden front of 7 bays, the right and 2nd
left single bays project and are further canted. Extending
between these 2 bays is a first floor balustraded balcony, the
right 2 bays under being closed with casements, the left 2 bays
open and the single central bay being bowed and projecting with
casements, each separated by a single fluted pilaster. Remainder
of this front with various casements some with blind panels under
and hoodmoulds with decorative label stops. Interior. Panelled
hall with large fireplace with projecting canopy supported on
decorative piers. Open well staircase with carved tread ends.
Room opening out on to garden also panelled. Further room with
some C18 and later plaster work.

Listing NGR: SK6830857839

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.