If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242216
OS Grid Reference: SK6252066939
OS Grid Coordinates: 462520, 366939
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1959, -1.0656
Explore more of the area around Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
EDWINSTOWE CHURCH STREET
SK 66 NW
3/4 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Spire restored 1680 and C19.
Vestry 1862. South porch 1903. Re-pewed 1848. Re-roofed 1892
and 1897. Restored and windows renewed 1897. Coursed rubble,
coursed squared rubble and ashlar. Ashlar dressings.
Crenellated parapets, coped gables, moulded eaves band. Lead
roofs. West tower, north and south aisles, adjoining mausoleum,
nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. West tower, C12, C13, C14.
3 stages. Moulded plinth, 3 string courses. To west, a pair of
clasp buttresses, that to south also forming stair enclosure. 3
setoffs. Buttress to south east engaged with aisle. First stage
has to south, 2 stair lights. To west, transomed C13 lancet and
tablet 1979. Second stage has 4 C14 double lancet bell openings.
Third stage has to south, blocked round headed triple opening
with round shafts, containing clock. To west and north, similar
openings. To east, remains of similar opening with clock.
Octagonal broach spire has 8 elaborate crocketed pinnacles with
shafts. Above, 4 round lights. Above again, finial and large
weathercock. North aisle, C13 and C15, restored C19. 5 bays.
Crenellated parapet. North side has buttress at west end plus 3
intermediate, all gabled. To east, 3 C15 chamfered square headed
openings with cusped triple lancets. To west, projecting 5 sided
Ward Mausoleum with 4 moulded lancets. To west again, C14 double
lancet with Y tracery, hood mould and mask stops. Nave
clerestory, C14 and C15, 5 bays. On each side, 5 Tudor arched
chamfered reveals with cusped double lancets. Vestry has
crenellated parapet and to east, pointed door. To its right,
double lancet with Y tracery. Chancel, C13, C14, C15. 2 bays.
Blank to north. East end has restored C14 triple lancet with
intersecting tracery and chamfered reveal. South side has
central round headed priest's door, C12, with imposts and hood
mould. To west, C15 chamfered square headed reveal with double
lancet. To east, C19 Tudor arched reveal with hood mould and C14
style double lancet. Below it, undated Classical style tablet
with cornice and fluted columns. South aisle. C14 and C15,
restored 1833 and later. Pair of diagonal buttresses, that to
east inscribed 'CPP/MP/OP'. 2 C19 intermediate gabled
buttresses. East end has C20 four centred arched opening with
C15 style triple lancet. South side has 4 late C13 double
lancets with Y tracery. Partly restored. Gabled south porch,
late C13 restored C19. Chamfered plinth and plain tile roof. To
south, chamfered and rebated doorway with filleted shafts and
simple moulded bases and capitals. Coped gable with gabled
kneelers and cross. Interior has stone benches and C18 principal
rafter roof with tenoned purlins. Inner south door, late C13,
restored, has roll moulded head and hood mould with mask stops.
Filleted responds with simple moulded capitals and bases. Nave
north arcade, early C14, 5 bays, has 4 round piers with matching
responds. Stepped square plinths with waterholding bases, ringed
capitals and chamfered and rebated arches. Hood moulds with mask
stops. Restored. South arcade, mid C14, has 4 octagonal piers
and matching responds. Simple moulded bases and capitals coved
and roll moulded arches with hood moulds and mask stops.
Restored. Clerestory has leaded windows. C19 kingpost roof with
plain corbels. C13 tower arch, double chamfered and rebated,
dying into restored moulded imposts. Nailhead bands and mask
corbels. C19 traceried panelled timber screen. Tower chamber
has patterned glass in west window. North aisle has on north
side, to west, pointed recess with iron railing to domed
mausoleum containing patterned stained glass windows and central
Gothic Revival shrine with plinth and inscription. To the Ward
family, 1788-1857. To east, window with patterned stained glass.
South aisle, C14, has to south, 4 C20 stained glass windows.
East end forms Lady Chapel. East end has moulded altar, c.1325,
with turned stone legs. Flanked by single aumbries with C20
doors. Above, single brackets with C20 figures. To south, C14
piscina, restored, with keeled shafts. East window has stained
glass, 1891. North and south aisles have C19 lean-to roofs.
Chancel arch, C14, restored, double chamfered and rebated, with
octagonal responds. Perpendicular timber screen with painted
panels, 1939. Chancel north side has 2 doorways and to east,
triangular headed aumbry with C20 doors. East window has C19
stained glass. South side has to west, window with stained glass
by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1871, to Louisa Blanche Foljambe.
Low pitched Cl9 kingpost roof with plain corbels and curved
brackets. Fittings include font, octagonal, C15, base of 3
steps, quatrefoil band, C19 crocketed conical cover. C19
traceried panelled octagonal timber pulpit. C19 brass eagle
lectern. C17 communion table with bulbous turned legs and chip
carving. Detached timber panel inscribed 'This is the crisning
and churching seat ANNO DOM 1714 J H/ G W/ C S/ L B Church
Wardens.' Moulded C19 oak benches with traceried panelled ends.
C20 panelled oak benches and C19 desk. C19 Gothic altar rail.
C18 marble wall monument with oval cartouche and crest of books
with skull and cherubs. Latin inscription. Classical oval
tablet to Bristowe family, 1762. Decorated style cartouche on
plinth, with scrolled Arms. Tablet with shouldered panel,
cherubs and ball finial, to William Villa Real, 1759. 4 C19
marble and slate tablets. Marble and slate war memorials, 1918
and 1945. Single C20 marble tablet. 3 brasses, C19 and C20.
Listing NGR: SK6251966942
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.