If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St John
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242224
OS Grid Reference: SK6454970956
OS Grid Coordinates: 464549, 370956
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2317, -1.0344
Explore more of the area around Perlethorpe cum Budby, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
PERLETHORPE CHURCH LANE
SK 67 SW CUM BUDBY
Church of St. John
Parish church. 1876. By A. Salvin for third Earl Manvers.
Restored 1904. C14 Decorated style. Snecked ashlar. Ashlar
dressings. Graduated slate roof with coped gables with crosses
and elaborate slate ridge crest. Chamfered eaves band and
moulded parapets. West tower with spire, nave, north and south
aisles, chancel, organ chamber, vestry, south porch. Windows are
C14 style lancets with hood moulds and mask stops. West tower,
3 stages, has 3 string courses, traceried panelled band and
crenellated parapet with 4 gabled crocketed pinnacles and 4 large
gargoyles. Setback octagonal spire with moulded arrises, 2 tiers
of gabled lucarnes and finial. 4 large clasping buttresses.
First stage has to south a double lancet. To west, moulded
doorway with shafts and hood mould and above, gable with
Decorated finial. Second stage has to west and to north, square
window containing quatrefoil. Third stage has 4 double lancets
with linked hood moulds. Parapeted nave clerestorey has on each
side 4 panelled crocketed pinnacles and 4 gargoyles. 4 double
lancets with ogee heads and segmental headed reveals. East gable
has small cusped window. Buttressed north aisle, 4 bays, has 4
gargoyles. To north 4 and to west, single, ogee headed double
lancets. Gabled organ chamber, to east, has coped gable and 2
gargoyles. To north, traceried round window. Lean-to vestry has
single coped gable and 2 gargoyles. To north, shouldered doorway
and to its right, mullioned casement. To east, double lancet.
Chancel, 2 bays, has diagonal buttresses to east plus 2
buttresses to south. On each side, 2 crocketed pinnacles and 2
gargoyles. Traceried panelled coped parapet. North side has to
east, ogee headed double lancet. East end has 5 light ogee
headed lancet. South side has off-centre shouldered priest's
door and 3 double lancets as north side. Buttressed south aisle,
4 bays, has moulded parapet and gables and 4 gargoyles. To
south, 3 double lancets plus a similar lancet at each end.
Gabled south porch has pair of diagonal buttresses and chamfered
doorway with hood mould. On each side, square headed reveal
containing double lancet. Interior has wooden benches and
principal rafter roof. Simply moulded inner doorway with hood
mould. Studded door with decorative hinges. Nave north and
south arcades, 3 bays, have each 3 rectangular piers with coved
corners and cruciform bases. Foliate capitals. Matching
responds. Arches double coved and rebated, with hood moulds and
mask stops. Principal rafter roof with mock hammer beams, wall
shafts on foliate corbels, arch braces and collars. Double coved
and rebated tower arch has shaft responds and hood mould,
foliate capitals and stops. Recessed ihto four centred arched
opening with head inscribed 'Haec ecclesia in gloriam Dei a
Sodneio Guilielmo Herberto tertio Comte Manvers Aedificata.
Consecrata est A D XI Kal. Dec. A D MDCCCLXXVI'. Tower chamber
has traceried panelled west door and west window with patterned
stained glass. North aisle has to west, traceried panelled oak
screen enclosing choir vestry. West window and 3 north windows
have patterend stained glass. Westernmost window has stained
glass c.1955, to the fifth Earl Manvers and others. Lean-to roof
with wooden wall shafts on corbels. East end has traceried oak
parclose screen. South aisle has east window with stained glass
to the sixth Earl Manvers, signed 'Derek Wilson 1957'. Other
windows have patterned stained glass. Otherwise similar to north
aisle. Moulded and coved chancel arch has polished granite
responds with foliate capitals. Hood mould on both sides, with
mask stops. Above, small cusped window with stained glass, C19.
Chancel north side has to west, opening with Moorish plate
tracery and black marble shafts. To east, moulded doorway and
credence with foliate carving. East end has sill band and
elaborate reredos with marble shafts and 5 carved figures in ogee
headed niches. Flanked by traceried panels. East window has
stained glass, 1912, to the third Earl Manvers and wife. South
side has to east, crocketed, gabled double sedilia with marble
shafts. Westernmost window has stained glass to the Marshall
family, 1881. Principal rafter roof with arch braces and mask
corbels. Fittings include font with octagonal traceried
panelled bowl on octagonal stem with 8 flanking shafts.
Octagonal oak pulpit with traceried panels, on marble stem with 8
flanking shafts and elaborate foliate capitals. Large brass
eagle lectern. Panelled oak benches with shaped ends and panels
with naturalistic carving. Brass altar rail. Large oil painting
by Sir Benjamin West, 1779. Large C19 oil painting. Moulded
marble shaft carrying cherub with cross. Traceried panelled oak
stalls and desks with crocketed finials and 16 heraldic beasts.
Monuments include brass to third Earl Manvers, 1900, and marble
wall tablet with coloured inlay panel to fourth Earl Manvers,
Listing NGR: SK6454970956
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.