British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Bishops Manor and Remains of Bishops Palace, Southwell

Description: Bishops Manor and Remains of Bishops Palace

Grade: I
Date Listed: 7 August 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 242291

OS Grid Reference: SK7015453744
OS Grid Coordinates: 470154, 353744
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0763, -0.9543

Location: 1 Bishop's Dr, Southwell, Nottinghamshire NG25 0JP

Locality: Southwell
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG25 0JP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Archbishop's Palace, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Southwell, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


1919-0/11/1 (East side (off))
07/08/52 Bishops Manor and remains of Bishops
(Formerly Listed as:
Bishops Manor with ruins of
Archbishops Place)


Bishop's Manor (official residence of the Bishop of Southwell)
and remains of Bishop's Palace. Bishop's palace probably built
for Archbishop Alexander Neville and Archbishop Arundel
between c1379 and 1396. Rebuilt and extended for Archbishop
John Kemp, 1426-36, and extended for Archbishop Rotherham
c1490. Occupied 1647 by the Scots Commissioners and largely
demolished. House built in former Great Hall, late C18. Former
State Chamber restored for suffragan Bishop Edward Trollope,
1881. Bishop's Manor, incorporating the C18 house and the west
range of the former palace, by W D Caroe, 1905, in a
vernacular revival style. Palace remains are roofless ruins
enclosing a square courtyard. Coursed squared rubble and
ashlar with ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinths, quoins and
string courses. 4 bay south side has square headed window
openings on 2 floors, and 2 square garderobe towers, the
larger one, to east, with a spiral stair and unusual radial
4-seat arrangement. To its left, in the angle, a corbelled
stair turret, and to left again, a restored external stack
with octagonal shaft. Inner face has a fireplace on each
floor, the upper one with a moulded surround, and 2 carved
corbels. 7 bay east side has mainly square headed openings on
2 floors. At each end, a gable with remains of a large
traceried lancet window. Between them, a near-central external
stack, and to its right a garderobe tower. Inner face has a
fireplace on each floor, the upper one with an elaborate
arcaded lintel. Lower north side, 2 bays, has an off-centre
stack and a simple fireplace on the inner face. Restored 3-bay
great Chamber, to north west, ashlar with plain tile roof, has
plinth, string course, coped gables, and to west, diagonal
buttresses. West gable has a double transomed 4-light lancet
with panel tracery. North side has an off-centre external
stack and to its left, 2 transomed double lancets with hood
moulds, and 2 gabled buttresses. Below, 4 square headed
windows of various sizes. To its left, a 2-storey porch,
c1881, with a canted cross mullioned oriel window, and below,
a moulded round headed doorway. To left again, former private
chapel, c1881, coursed rubble and ashlar with plain tile roof.
Central lean-to projection flanked by single lancets. East end
has a squat segment headed 5-light lancet. Bishop's manor,
roughcast and colourwashed, has ashlar dressings and hipped
and gabled plain tile roof. Plinth, 6 side wall and 2 gable
stacks, most of them with round shafts. Windows are mainly
mullioned and cross mullioned casements with leaded glazing.
Irregular west entrance front, 3 storeys, 8 windows, has an
off-centre 3 storey tower porch with diagonal buttresses and a
segment headed doorway covering a door to the screens passage
of the original palace. South side has a 2 storey block to the
left, 3 windows, with a square 2 storey bay window on the
left. Central moulded C14 doorway, formerly the kitchen access
of the original palace. To its right, 2 renewed double lancets
with flat heads and hood moulds. To the right, a higher block,
2 storeys plus attics, with 4 cusped double lancets with flat
heads. Above, 3 box dormers. Below, an off-centre door with
overlights and side lights, flanked by single double lancets.
To left, a similar double lancet. These openings have linked
hood moulds. Rear elevation, C18 house with 3 glazing bar
sashes and above, 4 box dormers. Below, 3 round headed glazing
bar sashes. State chamber interior has an arch braced triple
purlin roof with collars and wind braces, on angel corbels,
some of them medieval. North side has a restored moulded
fireplace with billeted frieze, and moulded arch with shafts
to bay window. East end has a double chamfered C14 doorway
each side. Porch has moulded C14 style doorways and C19 stone
staircase. Bishop's Manor interior has the triple arched
opening to the pantry and buttery of the original palace, and
fragments of the Great Hall west window.
(Norman Summers: A Prospect of Southwell: London: 1974-:
48-56; Buildings of England: E Williamson: Nottinghamshire:
Harmondsworth: 1979-: 329 - 330).

Listing NGR: SK7015453744

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.