If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of All Saints, Collingham

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 16 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 242587

OS Grid Reference: SK8297462044
OS Grid Coordinates: 482974, 362044
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1491, -0.7608

Location: Low Street, Collingham, Nottinghamshire NG23 7LW

Locality: Collingham
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG23 7LW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Collingham, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 8262-8362 COLLINGHAM LOW STREET

9/62 Church of All Saints

16.1.67

G.V. I

Parish Church, C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, Cl7, C19. Coursed blue lias rubble,
ashlar plinths, buttresses, organ chamber, and dressings; tower rendered.
Leaded and stone slab roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south
aisles, north and south porches, organ chamber, vestry. West tower, 2 stages,
battlemented parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles, 2 diagonal buttresses to west
with 3 setoffs plus plinth. West window has C13 moulded opening with label
mould containing triple lancet with restored panel tracery; above, clock, and
2 round headed openings on south. 2nd stage has triple lancet bell openings
with 4 centred arched heads. North aisle and Vestry, C14 and C19, form a
continuous range of 4 bays. Plinth, 3 buttresses of 3 setoffs; 2 triple
lancets with cusped quatrefoils in square headed chamfered openings. East
window C15 triple lancet in splayed 4 centred arched opening with hood mould
and mask stops. West window, C19 triple lancet with decorated tracery in
chamfered opening with plain hood mould. North porch, C13, rubble with slab
roof, coped eaves and gable containing corbelled niche, 2 buttresses with
gabled capitals,. Doorway, C13 with double chamfer and cove moulding.
Interior has 3 bay vaulted roof with 2 transverse cove moulded pierced ribs
and C13 double chamfered and rebated doorway containing C18 panelled door with
iron latch. Nave Clerestorey, C15, has on north side 3 double lancets with
cusped heads and chamfered eaves; on south side, double lancet like north side
and 2 larger triple lancets to east, with Decorated tracery. Chancel north
side has single 4 centred arched opening containing C14 double lancet with
Decorated tracery and single square headed light in chamfered reveal in eastern
return angle. East end has 5 lancets with Decorated tracery in 4 centred arched
opening with plain hood mould. Coped gable with cross. South side has sill
band and off-centre priests door with decorated spandrels and lintel, and
sundials on each jamb; flanked to west by triple lancet with Decorated tracery
and plain hood mould; to east by 2 similar lancets both blocked at the base.
South aisle, 3 bays, has 3 buttresses of 3 setoffs, moulded parapet each end,
2 triple lancets with Decorated tracery. East end has C19 triple lancet with
panel tracery and hood mould with mask stops. C15 south porch has plinth,
rendered walls, coped gable, C19 timber leaded roof, 2 diagonal buttresses of
2 setoffs, 4 centred arched doorway. South doorway has C13 double chamfered
and rebated opening with hood mould and narrow-panelled C18 door. Nave north
arcade, C13, 3 bays, has clustered piers with keeled major shafts, waterleaf
and stiff-leaf capitals, clustered responds with shaft rings, 2 mask stops in
spandrels. South arcade, C13, 3 bays, clustered piers with keeled minor shafts
and filleted major shafts; moulded imposts with dogtooth, that to east with
mask corbel. Below, C14 double piscina in rectangular chamfered surround
with detached octagonal shaft. Nave roof, C19, low pitched, with corbels
carrying arch braces to tie beams, and arch braces to rafters; decorative
bosses. Fittings comprise C19 plain pews. Tower arch, C14, double roll
moulding and chamfer, mask at apex. Triple shaft respond to south with
keeled major shaft and moulded capital; north respond has stiff leaf capital
to major shaft and additional projecting mask capitals to minor shafts. Tower
arch screen, C19, leaded glass and timber. Ringing chamber has Royal Arms
on canvas and 2 C19 commandment boards printed on steel. North aisle, 3 bays,
2 windows, has C13 moulded and chamfered doorway to Vestry, moulded and gilt
pelmet to north door. East end has small C14 piscina and 2 C15 incised slabs;
classical wall tablet, 1772: Low pitch C19 panelled roof. South aisle
has memorial tablets of 1703, 1839 and 7 later C19 and C20 tablets. C18
panelled door with baroque pelmet. Font has round base with 4 octagonal
columns carrying plain octagonal bowl; panelled timber font cover, C17, with
intarsia decoration and chip carving. C19 panelled roof, 6 bays, with painted
panels. Chancel arch C13, double chamfered and rebated, with clustered shaft
responds with shaft rings and simple waterleaf capitals. Chancel north side
has C19 organ chamber, decorative timber reredos, 1924. South side has
rectangular piscina in chamfered opening and C15 priest's door, now fitted with
baroque pelmet. Beyond, blocked round-headed doorway. Fittings include C19
choir stalls with ivy finials. Roof, C15, 5 bays, low pitch, has corbels
carrying curved braces to principal rafters. Main timbers roll and cove
moulded. Various stained glass windows, late C19 and C20.


Listing NGR: SK8297462044

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |