If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of All Saints, Barnby in the Willows

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 16 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 242648

OS Grid Reference: SK8603352189
OS Grid Coordinates: 486033, 352189
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0600, -0.7177

Location: 1 Front Street, Barnby in the Willows, Nottinghamshire NG24 2SA

Locality: Barnby in the Willows
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG24 2SA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


There is also a scheduled monument, Dovecote 250m North West of Barnby Hall, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Barnby in the Willows, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 8W SE BARNBY IN THE WILLOWS FRONT STREET (South Side)

4/13 Church of All Saints

16-1-67
I

Parish Church; C13. C15 and probably C17; restored C19. Coursed rubble,
rendered in parts with ashlar tower and porches and some ashlar to the aisles.
Lead roofs with segmental parapet at the east end. Tower, nave with north
and south aisles, north and south porches, chancel. The church is buttressed
and with the exception of the chancel and north aisle south of the porch, is set
on a plinth. The diagonally buttressed C15 single stage tower has a string
course over the plinth and a single arched 2 light window with tracery to the
west with four 2-light arched openings to the bell chamber. There is a single
small rectangular window to the west side with 2 to the south. The tower is
embattled with 4 crocketed pinnacles and guttering running under. The west
side of the north aisle has a lancet window. The Cl5 gabled and coped north
porch has 3 crocketed pinnacles and 3 gargoyles with single gargoyles to the
east and west walls. The central doorway has a moulded arch over which there is
a hoodmould and label stops, and is flanked by single niches each with an ogee
arch. The aisle window to the west of the porch is arched with 2 lights,
tracery and hoodmould. To the east is a 2 light, square headed, traceried
window with hood mould and label stops. The clerestorey has 3 square headed
windows. The chancel, with probably C17 fenestration, has a tall 2 light
arched transom and mullion window with tracery and stops at either end of the
transom. Either side of the north doorway are 2 engaged columns with capitals,
the inner having damaged fleuron decoration, supporting imposts with moulded
arch, hood mould and label stops. East of the door is a lozenge shaped window
containing a quatrefoil with tracery and to its east a 2 light arched and
traceried window with quatrefoil. A string course runs around the chancel,
under the windows, but on a level with the transom of the transom and mullioned
window. The east end, with 3 tie plates, has a triple lancet window. The
centre narrower, taller lancet, with arched transom has at its foot, on either
side, a segment of a circle. The flanking lancets each have single lights with
tracery. The south wall of the chancel corresponds to the north. The door
however has neither hood mould nor label stops and the eastern most window does
not have a quatrefoil, but 4 small circles contained in a larger circle. The
arched and traceried east facing window of the south aisle is probably C17 and
has 2 lights with cusping. The aisle windows to the east and west of the
gabled, projecting porch are both traceried with 2 lights, square heads and
hood moulds, that to the west has label stops. The central doorway of the porch
is arched with imposts, hood mould and label stops and is flanked by single
lancets. The clerestorey corresponds to the north. The west wall of the
south aisle has a single lancet. The south aisle has been encased in C19
ashlar. The north interior porch door has an elaborate blind tracerid C15
door with imposts supporting a chamfered arch and hood mould with label stops
over. Interior. The aisles are separated from the nave by 3 bays of C13
alternating 2 circular and one octagonal pier with plain moulded capitals,
chamfered arches, hood moulds and label stops to nave side only. There is a
C13 tower arch. Chancel and nave are separated by a chamfered arch with
octagonal piers and pin capitals, the chancel side has label stops. In the
chancel is a corresponding string course to the exterior. The choir stalls
have blind tracery and poppyheads. There is a C17 balustraded altar rail,
with C17 panel surround to the altar and fanciful carving to the reredos.
Around the sides of the aisles are ciB box pews. The C15 central pews have
varied blind tracery and varied and elaborate poppyheads, a few being C19 cast
iron restorations. There is a C13 octagonal stone font with shields in
quatrefoil panels. Behind the altar rails are 4 C18 floor stones. On the
south chancel wall is a good decorated monument to Mary Sharpe, with bust over,
c.1742. The north west wall has a slate wall tablet with head carved in
relief to George and Thomas Sharpe, c.1686, with a similar tablet to Thomas and
Winefrid Sharpe, c.1704, on the south west wall.


Listing NGR: SK8603052189

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |