If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 16 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 242659
OS Grid Reference: SK7883251138
OS Grid Coordinates: 478832, 351138
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0517, -0.8254
Explore more of the area around Hawton, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 75 SE HAWTON NEWARK ROAD (east side)
2/24 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. C13, C14, C15, restored C1880, addition 1887, restored 1970.
Coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs with coped east gable and embattled
parapet to aisles and clerestoreys. West tower, nave, north and south aisles
with south porch, chancel. The c.1482 tower of 5 stages is set on a plinth
with string course over, there are 4 forther string courses and 4 clasping
buttresses. In the west is a doorway with blind flowing traceried door under
a moulded arch with hood mould and label stops. In the spandrel are decorative
carved shields and carved heads. Above is a 4-light arched panel tracery window.
To the 4th stage on all but the east wall is an arched window with single
mullion end 2 arched transoms. The south has a single small light to the 1st,
2nd and 3rd stages, with 2 to the 4th stage. There are similar lights to the
3rd, 4th and 5th stages of the west wall, the 2nd stage having 2 lights. The
bell chamber has 4 pairs of 2-light openings with tracery and cusping and a
single ogee arch and finial over each pair. The spandrel has blind panel tracery.
The parapet is embattled with corner and centre merlons rising to a crocketed
pinnacle. Running under is a frieze of shields set in lozenges, those to the
west and south east are decorated. At each corner is a gargoyle. The west
window of the north aisle has 3 lights under a 4-centred arch with hood mould.
The buttressed north aisle with angle buttresses to the east, is set on a plinth
with string course running over. There is a doorway with chamfered shafts and
plain capitals supporting a moulded pointed arch with arched niche above. To
the east are two 3-light windows, under 4-centred arches with hood moulds. The
east wall of the north aisle has e C14 3-light arched window with flowing
tracery. The surround has an outer order of single engaged colonnettes with
moulded capitals with hood mould over. The c.1482 clerestorey has three
3-light windows under 4-centred arches with hood moulds. The north chancel has
a single buttress with, to its west side, an engaged capital with worn decoration.
To the west is an arched 3-light window with cusping and 3 quatrefoils contained
in circles, east of this is a blocked doorway and to its east a blocked niche.
Above these are 2 corbels, which would have supported the roof of a former
chapel. The east wall has gabled and coped angle buttresses which rise to
the eaves. There is a large c.1330 7-light arched window with flowing tracery.
The lights are separated by engaged colonnettes with moulded capitals. There
is a hood mould over with label stops. The buttressed south chancel is set
on a plinth and has three 3-light arched windows with quatrefoils in circles
and cusping. Each window surround has an outer order of engaged colonnettes
and moulded capitals supporting a moulded arch, with hood mould and label stops.
The eastern window has its base blocked and the south doorway breaks into the
centre window. The doorway has 3 engaged colonnettes with moulded capitals
supporting a moulded arch, with hood mould and label stops. A string course
runs under the windows, is interrupted by the door, and extends under the east
window of the south aisle, which is arched with 3 lights, cusping, 2 trefoils and
single quatrefoil. The south aisle is buttressed, with angle buttresses to
the east and west. There are two 3-light windows under 4-centred arches with
hood moulds and label stops. A string course runs under the windows and over
a blocked arch, it continues, under the east window of the porch. The clere-
storey has three 3-light windows under 4-centred arches with hood mould over.
The 1887 angle buttressed south porch with coped gable, kneelers and ridge
cross has to its east and west walls an arched single light window with cusping,
hood mould and label stops. The central doorway has either side 3 engaged
colonnettes with moulded capitals, the centre one having foliate decoration.
The inner arched doorway with chamfered surround has 2 engaged moulded capitals
supporting an arch broken at the apex and rising to a niche. The west wall
of the south aisle has a 3-light window under a 4-centred arch with hood mould.
Interior. The nave has arcades of 3 bays. The late C13 north arcade has
octagonal piers with moulded capitals supporting double chamfered pointed arches,
with a dogtooth decorated hood mould with head label stop to the south west -
capital end inverted fleur de lys to the south east. The c.1330 south arcade
has octagonal piers and responds, both with moulded capitals and with nailhead
decoration to all but the western respond. These support double chamfered
arches with hood mould over. To the north are 2 decorated corbels. The tower
arch has an inner order of engaged columns with moulded capitals and bell shaped
bases. Either side of the arch is an ashlar column, with moulded and chamfered
base, rising the full height of the clerestorey. The double chamfered arch
separating nave and chancel is supported each side by a column of 3 shafts with
moulded capitals. Under is an early C16 screen with tracery, cusping and
elevation squints in the wainscot. On the north wall of the nave is evidence
of a removed rood-loft parapet. The south east arcade wall has a piscina with
cupsed interior and ogee arch over. In the north east corner is a niche with
C16 angel. In the south wall is a piscina with moulded arch over. In the south
east corner is a recessed niche and a further niche in the north east corner.
There is evidence on the south wall of the south aisle being heightened.
The south wall of the chancel has a fine and exceedingly elaborate stone carved
double piscina and tripartite sedilia. The north wall has a doorway, founder's
tomb and Easter Sepulchre of similar celebrated quality. The tomb has a
damaged cross legged chain-mailed effigy of Sir Robert de Compton. There are
several C18 floor stones, including in the north aisle, one to Alexander Holden,
c.1769, Mary Holden, c.1746 and William Deeping, c.1756, and in the south aisle
to Mary and William Sampey c.1791 and John Deeping c.1794. The north wall of
the north aisle has an elaborate and fine monument to the Holdens c.1769.
The octagonal C14 font in the shape of a capital and pier top has a C19 base.
The benches are C17, restored C19. The pulpit is C19. Stone corbels support
the nave roof. Nave and north aisle roofs have bosses.
Listing NGR: SK7883151138
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.