British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Wilfrid, Kelham

Description: Church of St Wilfrid

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242755

OS Grid Reference: SK7737755391
OS Grid Coordinates: 477377, 355391
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0901, -0.8461

Location: Averham, Nottinghamshire NG23 5QX

Locality: Kelham
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG23 5QX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Kelham, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(east side)

7/52 Church of
St. Wilfrid
G.V. I

Parish church. C14, C15, Early C18, restored 1874 by Hodgson
Fowler. Ashlar, dressed stone and coursed rubble with ashlar
dressings and slate roofs. Continuous crenellated parapet. West
tower, nave, north aisle, north porch, south aisle, south porch,
south chancel (Lexington) chapel. West tower, 4 stages, moulded
plinth, 3 string courses, moulded eaves band, 4 gargoyles, 4
crocketed pinnacles. Pair of clasping buttresses to west,
changing to diagonal buttresses in third stage. Pair of similar
buttresses to east, engaged with aisles. Firststage has to
south, a stair light. To west, sill band and a stair light.
Second stage has to west C16 triple lancet with cusped round
heads, Perpendicular tracery, coved mullions, coved, rebated and
roll moulded reveals and hood mould with mask stops. Third stage
has to south, single elliptical headed louvred opening. To west,
restored chamfered rectangular opening with lattice infill. To
north, clock. Fourth stage has 4 C15 double lancet bell openings
with coved mullions, chamfered reveal and hood moulds with mask
stops. Nave, 3 bays, has crenellated east gable with cross, and
moulded eaves band. North east corner has octagonal stair turret
with 2 chamfered doorways. On each side, 3 restored C15 triple
lancets with plain round heads and panel tracery. Coved mullions
and reveals and hood moulds. North aisle, 3 bays, has deep
moulded and chamfered plinth, sill band, coved eaves band.
Single diagonal buttress to east, and single intermediate
buttress to north, 2 setoffs. East and west ends have single
windows, north side has 2 windows, all restored C15 triple
lancets with round heads, Perpendicular tracery, coved mullions,
double coved reveals and hood moulds. North porch, C15, has
plinth, sill band, eaves and parapet as north aisle, and a pair
of diagonal buttresses to north, single setoff, plus plinths.
North doorway has chamfered and coved four centred arched head
with hood mould. Interior has stone benches and, to east, a
stoup. C19 low pitched principal rafter roof with roll moulded
timbers. North door has restored four centred arched head, coved
and rebated, with coved hood mould. Original C15 door with
lancet panels. South aisle, 3 bays, similar to north aisle, with
single diagonal buttress to west and single buttress to south,
both 2 setoffs. Single window to west, and 2 to south, all C15
triple lancets with round heads, simple panel tracery, coved
mullions nd reveals and hood moulds. South porch is identical to
north porch. South doorway identical to north doorway, but less
restored. C19 door. Chancel, 2 bays, has partial deep moulded
plinth, coved eaves band and east gable with cross and niche
containing figure. East end has a pair of diagonal buttresses, 2
offs. North side has to east, blocked doorway, and above,
remains of a buttress. To west, restored four centred arched
doorway with hood mould. to west again, C15 triple lancet with
round heads, Perpendicular tracery, coved mullions and reveal and
hood mould. East end has late C15 5 light lancet with four
centred arched heads and panel tracery. Chamfered mullions and
double coved reveal with Tudor arched head and hood mould. South
side has to east, a triple lancet like those on north side.
South chancel Lexington chapel, c.1723, 2 bays. Chamfered
plinth, sill band, impost band, deep moulded cornice. South side
has 2 round headed leaded casements with corniced keystones.
Between them, moulded square panel with memorial tablet to Gervas
Lock, late C18. Nave north and south arcades, late C14, 3 bays.
Chamfered cruciform piers with moulded octagonal bases and
capitals. Matching responds. Double coved and roll moulded
arches with hood moulds. Above, coved sill band and double cove
moulded window reveals. C19 low pitched principal rafter roof
with arch braces on octagonal corbels and moulded principal
timbers. Tower arch, C15, double chamfered and rebated, with
octagonal responds with moulded bases and billeted, crenellated
capitals. Tower chamber has C15 plank door with four centred
arched head. North aisle has to west, doorway with hood mould
and mask stops. 2 windows to east have C15 stained glass
fragments. East end has to north a rebated square aumbry. East
window has stained glass, 1948. C15 low pitched principal rafter
roof. The 2 central bays have moulded and billeted tie beams and
moulded braces to moulded arched principal rafters. Moulded
purlins and ridge. South aisle has doorway with hood mould, and
C19 roof, a replica of that in north aisle. Traceried panelled
organ case in east end. Chancel arch, late C14. Triple cove and
roll moulded, with cruciform responds and hood mould. Late C15
panelled timber screen, 5 bays, restored and with renewed
cresting. To its left, restored doorway, and above, blocked
opening leading to rood loft, both restored. Chancel north side
has to west window with stained glass, 1879, and to east, C15
doorway with C19 timber hood. East end has C19 panelled reredos
and gradine and window with stained glass, 1888. South side has
to east small chamfered C14 piscina and window with stained
glass C19. To west, moulded arched opening to Lexington Chapel
with restored late C15 parclose screen, with panel tracery and
restored cresting. C19 low pitched principal rafter roof with
arch braces oncarved C19 corbels, and moulded timbers.
Lexington chapel has sill and impost bands, moulded cornice and
plaster ceiling. To east and west, paired round headed niches
with corniced keystones. Fittings include octagonal timber
pulpit with C17 moulded stem and base, C19 traceried panelled top
and steps. C13 eggcup font with roll moulded edge, on later
round stem with moulded base and ring. Early C19 conical cover
with turned finials. C19 traceried panelled lectern with
octagonal stem. C19 panelled benches, 2 C19 carved clergy desks,
2 matching choir stalls, 2 C19 choir stalls with fleur de lys
finials. Monuments include important free-standing tomb of
Robert Sutton, Lord Lexington, 1723, and Lady Lexington, 1703,
and 2 children. Classical style, marble. Rectangular chest with
segmental ends, moulded plinth and base, reeded vase-shaped
corner pilasters. Inscribed panels on three sides, and to west,
panel with Arms. Above, single male and female reclining
figures, life size, in Roman dress, he with a book and coronet,
she with a ring. Figures by William Palmer, 1726. Painted
ashlar wall monument with scroll top, moulded panel and
hatchment, verse and inscription, 1763; marble tablet, 1792;
Egyptian style slate and marble tablet, 1842; C14 style marble
and slate tablet with ogee head and crocketed surround, by T.
Gaffin, 1864. Marble and slate tablet, 1874. C18 Royal Arms in
moulded framed panel. Single brasses, C19 and C20.

Listing NGR: SK7737855390

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.