If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Wilfrid, North Muskham

Description: Church of St Wilfrid

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242768

OS Grid Reference: SK7982158597
OS Grid Coordinates: 479821, 358597
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1186, -0.8088

Location: Peets Dr, North Muskham, Nottinghamshire NG23 6HD

Locality: North Muskham
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG23 6HD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around North Muskham, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 75 NE NORTH MUSKHAM MAIN STREET
(east side)

7/64 Church of
St. Wilfrid
11-8-61
G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Coursed rubble and large
dressed stone, with ashlar dressings. West tower, nave, north
and south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower, C14 and C15,
2 stages, has chamfered plinth, string course, eaves band with
masks and 8 gargoyles, moulded crenellated parapet. 4 corner
buttresses, single setoff, those to east engaged with aisles.
First stage has to west, a cusped ogee headed lancet in square
headed reveal with hood mould, and above, a single lancet. Above
again, clock. North side has C19 lean-to building with slab roof
and door to stokehole. Second stage has 4 C15 cusped head double
lancet bell openings with Decorated tracery, chamfered mullions,
chamfered and rebated reveals with hood moulds, mask and shield
stops. All restored. Nave, 3 bays, has coved eaves, 4
gargoyles, crenellated parapet and east gable with cross. On
each side, 4 restored C15 triple lancets with cusped four centred
arched heads, coved mullions,splayed reveals and hood moulds.
North aisle, C15, has chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band,
eaves band and crenellated parapet. To west, gabled stone
chimney. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs, with Barton arms
in square panels, and a similar intermediate buttress. North
side has to east 2 C15 elliptical headed quadruple lancets with
simple panel tracery, coved mullions, coved and chamfered
reveals, and hood mould. To west, restored elliptical headed
doorway with chamfered reveal and hood mould. East end has
restored C15 triple lancet with Tudor arched heads, hood mould
and mask stops. South aisle, C15, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth,
string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles,and crenellated
parapet. East end has a C15 triple lancet with coved mullions
and reveal and hood mould. South side has to east 2 restored C15
triple lancets with cusped heads, coved mullions and reveals and
hood moulds, that to east with mask stops. West end has C16
double lancet with cusped trefoil heads, coved mullion and
splayed reveal with triangular head. Chancel, C15, 2 bays, has
chamfered plinth, string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles,
moulded crenellated parapet and east gable with cross. To east,
a pair of diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs, and on each side a
similar intermediate buttress. North side has 2 restored C15
quadruple lancets with elliptical heads and panel tracery and
hood moulds with mask stops. East end has C15 quintuple lancet
of similar design, with coved mullions, coved reveal, and hood
mould with mask stops. South side has off-centre priest's door
with cove and roll moulded surround and hood mould with mask and
foliate stops. Flanked by single quadruple lancets identical to
those on north side. South porch, C15, has chamfered plinth,
string course, coved eaves band with gargoyles, crenellated
parapet and coped gable with cross. Pair of diagonal buttresses,
2 setoffs. Pointed south doorway with moulded and rebated
surround, round responds with moulded bases and crenellated
capitals, splayed outer reveal, and hood mould with mask stops.
Interior has stone benches and C15 low pitched roof with reeded
arched tie beams. Inner south doorway, C13, with chamfered and
rebated head and hood mould, containing C15 plank door, 2 leaves,
with strap hinges and C18 latch. Nave north arcade, C13, 3 bays,
has 2 octagonal piers with altered round bases and moulded
capitals. Octagonal east respond has flanking shafts, square
bases and moulded capitals. Octagonal west respond has moulded
octagonal base and square waterleaf capital. Double chamfered
and rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. South
arcade, C15, 3 bays, has 2 unequal-sided octagonal piers running
direct into arches, flanking shafts with round bases and
octagonal capitals. Splayed and rebated arches with hood moulds.
Low pitched C15 roof with moulded arched tie beams on moulded
curved brackets. Moulded purlins and foliate bosses. Alternate
brackets have figures holding shields. Tower arch has a pair of
half-octagonal responds with moulded bases and capitals. C20
timber screen and above, organ case with projecting console
filling the arch. North aisle has to west a window with stained
glass panels with Barton rebus and to east a window with similar
C15 stained glass fragments in the head. East window has stained
glass, 1938. East end has to south a C15 plank door to rood
loft. C15 lean-to roof on corbels, with moulded principal
timbers. South aisle has to east a C20 traceried panelled timber
screen. To south, a C20 aumbry and a C13 style piscina. East
window has fragments of C15 stained glass with Barton rebus.
West window has stained glass c.1913. C15 lean-to roof with wall
plate on corbels, chamfered principal timbers and foliate bosses.
Chancel arch C14, restored, coved and rebated with hood mould and
moulded round responds with moulded bases and capitals. Large,
heavily cusped 5-bay screen, partly C15 and C20, with nodding
crested canopy forming rood loft. Above,carved and painted
rood. Chancel, 2 bays, has east window with stained glass,
c.1905. East end has to south a restored C15 piscina with
elliptical head. To north, aumbry with C19 Decorated style
surround with crocketed pinnacles and ogee finial. C15 style
roof, restored, with curved brackets on corbels, moulded timbers
and foliate bosses and shields with monograms. Fittings include
traceried panelled timber pulpit, C19 lectern on octagonal timber
stem, moulded octagonal font on octagonal stem, inscribed 'H B
Feb 20 1662 CM RSAC', with timber cover carrying figure on
brackets, 1931. Remains of C14 Decorated style oak screen, C17
chip carved chest with legs, C17 moulded oak table with turned
legs, late C17 altar rail with panelled newels and turned
balusters. Disused eggcup font bowl and C20 timber reredos.
C19 linked chairs, C20 oak stalls, incorporating fragments of C15
work and fleur de lys finial. Monuments include truncated
rectangular pyramid with incised arrises, on chamfered base, to
John Smithe, 1583. Painted alabaster and slate wall monument
with drapedincised panel in moulded surround, with apron and
above, draped arms, to William Woolhouse, 1664. Inlaid slate
tablet, 1822, Classical marble and slate tablet with Egyptian
influence, 1827, slate tablet with oval brass cartouche, 1827,
Classical marble and slate tablet, 1853, brasses 1874 and 1913.
Timber war memorial in gabled cabinet, 1918.


Listing NGR: SK7982058595

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |