British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Lawrence, Norwell

Description: Church of St Lawrence

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242791

OS Grid Reference: SK7756361763
OS Grid Coordinates: 477563, 361763
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1474, -0.8417

Location: Norwell Lane, Norwell, Nottinghamshire NG23 6JN

Locality: Norwell
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG23 6JN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Old Hall Moat and Two Fishponds, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Norwell, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(south side)

4/87 Church of
St. Lawrence
G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, C18, restored 1874 by Ewan
Christian. Coursed and coursed squared rubble, dressed stone,
ashlar, with ashlar dressings. Slate and plain tile roofs. West
tower, nave, north aisle and north transept, south aisle and
south transept, chancel, south porch. Chamfered and moulded
plinths, coped and crenellated east gables with crosses,
rainwater heads dated 1874. West tower, 4 stages, C13, with
additions C15 and C18. 4 string courses, eaves band, 4
gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles.
Pyramidal roof with wind vane. To west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 4
setoffs, that to south west inscribed 'Gervis Downing & Samuell
Curtiss Churchwardens 1713.' First stage has to south a single
lancet. To west, restored doorway with hood mould and above,
single lancet. To its left, 2 stair lights. Second stage has to
south, single lancet. To west, single lancet and stair light.
Above, clock. To north, single lancet. Third stage has 4
paired C13 lancets with chamfered mullions. Fourth stage has 4
C15 triple lancets in splayed and rebated reveals with four
centred arched heads. North aisle, 2 bays, C14, has sill band,
coved eaves, coped west gable. 2 corner buttresses to north
west, 2 setoffs plus plinths, that to west gabled. West end has
restored C14 triple lancet with Decorated tracery, chamfered
mullion and reveal, and hood mould. North side has central C14
doorway with hood mould and mask stops and remains of crocketed
finial. Flanked by single early C14 double lancets with
chamfered mullions and reveals and hood moulds. North transept,
C14, single bay. Sill band, chamfered eaves, moulded coped
parapet. 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs. North side has
restored C14 triple lancet with reticulated tracery, coved
mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal, and hood mould. Nave
clerestory, C15, has coved eaves and crenellated parapet. On
each side, 5 triple lancets with triangular heads and cupsed
lattice tracery. Flat-arched heads, coved mullions, coved and
roll moulded reveal, linked coved hood mould. Chancel, C13, 3
bays, has C19 coved eaves band with decorative bosses, and to
east, 2 diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs. North side has 3
restored single lancets. East end has 5 light lancet, c.1300,
with geometrical tracery, coved mullions,chamfered reveal and
hood mould. South side has central shouldered priest's door in
chamfered reveal, and above it, C13 lancet with hood mould. To
right, a similar lancet, and to left, a C15 triple lancet with
cusped transom, Decorated tracery, splayed mullions, chamfered
and rebated reveal, and hood mould. South aisle, C14, 3 bays,
has coved eaves and crenellated parapet. East end has early C14
triple lancet, restored, with cusped heads, geometrical tracery,
splayed mullions, chamfered reveal and hood mould. South side
has to east a C14 double lancet with geomtrical tracery. splayed
mullions, chamfered reveal, and hood mould. West end has
restored C14 quadruple lancet with ogee heads, cusped geometrical
tracery, splay mullion, chamfered and rebated reveal and hood
mould. South transept, late C14, single bay, 2 pairs of corner
buttresses to south, single plain buttress to east, corner
pilasters with rebated corners, sill band, chamfered eaves band,
crenellated parapet. South and east sides have each a triple
lancet with cusped ogee heads, splayed mullions, chamfered and
rebated square headed reveal. South porch, C14, has plain tile
roof and coped south gable with cross, double chamfered and
rebated south doorway with octagonal responds, moulded bases and
capitals, and hood mould. Interior has stone bench to west, and
C19 scissor braced principal rafter roof with ashlar pieces.
South doorway, late C12, has rebated and roll moulded round
head, coved responds and small engaged shafts. Outer order has
similar shafts with moulded bases, waterleaf capitals, chamfered
square imposts. C19 door. Nave south arcade, C13 and C14, 4
bays, has to east 2 round piers with square plinths and water
holding bases, octagonal waterleaf capitals. To west, C14
pseudo-pier with half round respond. West bay has 2 moulded
imposts with dogtooth. Double chamfered and rebated arches with
mask and beast stops. North arcade, C14, 4 bays, has to east 2
octagonal piers with chamfered bases and complex moulded
capitals. Chamfered pseudo-pier to west has moulded base and
capital, and half round respond to east. To west, 3 moulded
imposts, one with dogtooth. Chamfered and rebated arches. C19
low pitched roof in C15 style. Plain corbels, curved braces and
chamfered principal timbers. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered
and rebated, with filleted responds with moulded capitals and
bases. Flanking shafts to responds. Panelled timber screen,
1967. Above, swell organ on brackets. Tower chamber has
patterned stained glass in west window, and chamfered doorway to
tower. North aisle has C14 pitched roof with cambered tie beams,
tenoned purlins and chamfered timbers. East window has stained
glass by Kempe, 1903. North transept has chamfered and rebated
arch to north aisle, with, to north, mask corbel and moulded sill
band. North wall has C14 tomb recess with segmental head,
chamfered and with flanking shafts with moulded capitals. To its
right, C13 aumbry with hood mould and mask stops. Above, stained
glass window, c.1898. South east corner has steps leading to
cove moulded C13 entry to rood stair. Good C15 roof, low
pitched, deeply moulded principal timbers and rafters, large
foliate central and flanking bosses, single mask boss. South
aisle has east window with C19 stained glass. South side has, to
east, C14 arch to south transpet, double chamfered and rebated.
with keeled responds, moulded octagonal capitals and round bases.
To west, C14 tomb recess with moulded pointed head, hood mould
and round shafts. C19 roof, low pitch, with cambered tie beams,
chamfered timbers, plain corbels and curved braces. South
transept has in south east corner a combined aumbry and piscina,
C14, with cusped trefoil head, foliate and mask spandrels, and
hood mould with mask stops. To its right, tomb recess, C14, with
segmental head, coved and keeled roll moulded, with shaft
responds, hood mould and mask stops. Trefoiled rear panel. C19
low pitched principal rafter roof. Chancel arch, C13, double
chamfered and rebated, with hood mould and moulded conical
imposts. To its left, opening to rood loft, with segmental head.
East end has C19 reredos, ashlar, 3 bays, with 2 flanking
openings each side, and crocketed gable. Probably by Ewan
Christian. East window has stained glass, 1908, probably by
Kempe. South side has to east, round headed chamfered piscina
with slab inscribed 'Chancel restored AD CVIIILVIII'. C19
principal rafter roof with collars and very long arch braces.
Fittings include C19 chamfered and panelled benches, some
pierced. Pulpit by Ewan Christian. Ashlar, panelled, with
marble flanking shafts. c.1874. Plain C19 lectern with
octagonal stem. C18 communion table, moulded top and stretchers
and bulbous legs. C19 stalls with carving and traceried panels.
C20 clergy desk. C19 font with octagonal base, square stem with
4 flanking shafts, chamfered octagonal bowl with incised panels.
Monuments include foliated cross slab, early C14 female figure,
C14 effigy of Knight, said to be Sir John di Lisure, 1330. C14
mask corbel in north transpet. Alabaster Renaissance revival
style wall monument with square foliate panel carrying central
inscribed slate tablet with moulded edges, scrolled apron and
flanking Ionic columns on brackets. Entablature has ogee central
gable containing foliate panel with Arms and motto, and above,
damaged half height effigy. To Elizabeth Ayloff, 1629. Brass
with Arms to Edward and Anne Dallow, 1657-58. 2 convex marble
wall tablets with moulded bases and curved heads with angels,
1755 and 1772. Lozenge shaped tablet, 1788, marble and slate
tablets, 1813 and 1842. Brasses 1864 and 1882. 2 wooden war
memorials, 1918 and 1945. 2 C20 memorials.

Listing NGR: SK7756261764

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.