British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Sutton-on-Trent

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242815

OS Grid Reference: SK8006765949
OS Grid Coordinates: 480067, 365949
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1846, -0.8033

Location: 28 Church Street, Sutton on Trent, Nottinghamshire NG23 6PD

Locality: Sutton-on-Trent
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG23 6PD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Sutton-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(east side)

2/111 Church of
All Saints
G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15: Mering Chapel c.1525: C19:
tower rebuilt 1902-03; restored 1932 by William Weir, and
further restored 1956-58. Coursed squared rubble and ashlar,
dressed stone, brick, rendered. Lead and slate roofs. West
tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry, south
chancel chapel, south porch. West tower, C13 and C15, with C19
buttresses, 3 stages. Rendered plinth, 2 string courses, eaves
band with remains of gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4
crocketed pinnacles. 2 diagonal buttresses, 6 setoffs, that to
south inscribed 'Lord Elam and Willm. Butterey Churchwardens
1815'. First stage has to south a round headed lancet and above,
a rectangular chamfered light. To west, C13 doorway with hood
mould and leaded overlight. Above, a chamfered leaded light.
North side has a leaded light. Second stage has 4 C13 double
lancet openings with flanking shafts, chamfered mullions and
surrounds. Third stage has to east and south late C15 double
lancets with Y tracery, splayed mullions and reveals. Nave, 6
bays, has clerestory, c.1525. Chamfered eaves band with
gargoyles, crenellated parapet and east gable with remains of
cross. 2 crocketed pinnacles. East gable has small light with
four centred arched head. On each side, 6 triple lancets with
cusped ogee heads, panel tracery, splayed mullions and reveals,
and linked hood mould. North aisle, C14 and C15, restored, 3
bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves and coped gables. 4 plain
buttresses, 2 setoffs. West end has C14 triple lancet, with ogee
heads, panel tracery, chamfered and rebated reveal and hood mould
with mask stops. North side has 3 restored C15 triple lancets,
the central lancet smaller, with ogee heads, Decorated tracery,
splayed mullions, chamfered and rebated reveals, and hood moulds
with mask stops. East end has C13 triple lancet with
intersecting tracery, splayed mullions, chamfered and rebated
reveal. South aisle C14 and C15, 4 bays, has plinth and coved
eaves band with rosettes and 2 spouts. Moulded coped parapet. 5
plain buttresses, 3 setoffs. South side has to east, 2 C15
double lancets with cusped ogee heads, panel tracery, splayed
mullions, chamfered and rebated reveals with four centred arched
heads and hood moulds with mask stops. To west, C14 triple
lancet with ogee heads, splayed mullion and square headed reveal
and hood mould. West end has small lancet with cusped trefoil
head and chamfered reveal. Chancel, 2 bays, has coved eaves band
and creneallted parapet with crocketed gable on north east
corner. North side has single plain and single diagonal
buttresses, 3 setoffs plus chamfered plinths, and C20 rendered
chimney. To west, C15 triple lancet with ogee heads, panel
tracery with billeted transom, splayed mullion, chamfered and
rebated reveal with Tudor arched head, hood mould and mask stops.
East end has C16 5 light lancet with round heads, transom, beaded
mullions, triangular head with hood mould. Above, datestone
inscribed '1632'. Vestry, C19, single bay, has crenellated
parapet with ashlar coping. To north, door with segmental head.
South chancel Mering chapel, c.1525, 3 unequal bays, has
chamfered plinth, moulded string course, sill and eavesbands,
with single gargoyle, bosses and mask. Panelled crenellated
parapet with shields and 4 crocketed pinnacles, crenellated east
gable. 2 buttresses to south, pair of corner buttresses to south
east, all 2 setoffs, with crocketed gables and 2 crocketed
pinnacles. East end has C16 5 light lancet with cusped round
heads and panel tracery, beaded splayed mullion, coved and
moulded reveal with four centred arch and hood mould. South side
has to east, 2 quadruple lancets with cusped round heads, beaded
mullions, coved and moulded reveals and coved hood moulds. To
west, restored doorway with four centred arched head, incised
lintel and hood mould. Above, double lancet with round heads,
beaded mullions, coved and moulded square headed reveal. South
porch, C15, has rendered plinth and 2 flanking buttresses, single
setoff. Elliptical arched south doorway with splayed jambs and
elaborately moulded head and hood mould with mask stops.
Interior has stone benches and low pitch C15 roof with moulded
ridge and flat cleft rafters. South doorway, C13, has moulded
and rebated reveal, flanking shafts with moulded capitals, and
hood mould. C19 door with decorative hinges. Nave arcades, late
C13, 3 bays, have round piers with water holding bases and
moulded capitals. Keeled responds to east and west. Chamfered
and rebated arches with hood moulds. Clerestory reveal to east
has shield in spandrel. Principal rafter roof with moulded
purlins, heavily restored, with doubled tie beams on octagonal
corbels, and king posts with struts. Tower arch, C13, chamfered
and rebated, with hood mould and keeled responds with moulded
square capitals and bases. Early C20 panelled and part glazed
timber screen, with billeted transom and 2 small lights. North
aisle has east window with stained glass, 1927, by Geoffrey Webb.
Lean-to roof has C14 corbels and C15 cambered tie beams with
struts. Restored C19. South aisle has to east on south side,
C13 chamfered piscina. C19 lean-to roof with C15 moulded tie
beams, moulded ridge and foliate bosses. East end has moulded
elliptical arch, c.1525, to Mering Chapel, with moulded responds.
Important C16 timber screen with surround with shafts. Traceried
lower panels, carved rail and pierced upper panels. To left,
door of similar design, with Arms in lintel. Above, overhanging
gallery withcarved and moulded bressummer on plain corbels and
traceried panelled front, with elaborate carved and moulded
cresting. East side has framed panelling. Chancel arch, C14,
chamfered and rebated, with hood mould and cove moulded band
above. Keeled responds with moulded keeled capitals and remains
of capitals of flanking shafts. Above, to left, chamfered
pointed arched recess with crucifix. Chancel, 2 bays, has to
south 2-bay arcade, c.1525. Panelled octagonal central pier with
panelled moulded base and crenellated octagonal capital. To east
and west, mutilated responds with similar capitals. Cove and
roll moulded arches with hood moulds. Windows have fragments of
C16 stained glass. East window has flanking pointed arched stone
panels with Commandments. South side has, to east, remains of
chamfered piscina. Principal rafter roof, C15, restored, with
duplicate tie beams with struts supporting earlier cambered tie
beams, one with moulding. Mering chapel, 2 bays, has full height
traceried panel in south wall, with 2 blank shields and 3
octagonal brackets. To its left, corbelled octagonal piscina set
in traceried crocketed square panel with hood mould. To its
right, 2 octagonal brackets with traceried panels. East window
has traceried flanking panels, and above them, crenellated
brackets with foliate bosses. All windows have hood moulds. 2
windows have scraps of C16 stained glass. West end has to south,
four centred arched doorway, and to north, C17 arched head
panelled door in pier. Fittings include font, C15, moulded
octagonal base and stem, with traceried panels, octagonal bowl
with remains of tracery, and late C17 2-tier panelled octagonal
cover with ball finial. Octagonal pulpit with C18 panelled stem
and C19 traceried panelled top. C19 carved oak eagle lectern.
Several re-sited C16 benches with traceried panels, shaped ends
and fleur de lys or mask finials. Chamfered and panelled C19
benches. Remains of octagonal font bowl in porch, with masks and
shields in panels, and foliate bosses. 2 C18 upholstered chairs
with carved backs and stretchers. Rood, 1939. Monuments include
Mering chest tomb with chamfered base, strapwork panels, and
moulded Purbeck marble top. Brass to William Leek, 1770. Brass,
1779. Panel tablet with wavy top to William and Elizabeth
Downing, 1792 and 1813. Oval tablet with fluted sprandrels, 1822,
signed 'C H S Newark'. Large shouldered alabaster war memorial
panel with crucifix, 1918. 8 brasses C20.

Listing NGR: SK8007165948

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.