Church of St Peter and St Paul, Upton
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242826
OS Grid Reference: SK7367754271
OS Grid Coordinates: 473677, 354271
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0806, -0.9016
Location: Church Lane, Upton, Nottinghamshire NG23 5SX
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Upton, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 75 SW UPTON CHURCH LANE
8/122 Church of
11/8/61 St. Peter and St Paul
Parish church. C13, C14, north aisle chapel 1349, C15, C16.
Restored 1820, 1867, in 1893 by Hodgson Fowler, and 1962.
Coursed squared rubble and dressed stone with ashlar dressings.
Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, north aisle
chapel, chancel, north porch. West tower, 3 stages, has deep
moulded plinth, 2 string courses, gargoyles to north, south and
east, crenellated parapet,C15, with 8 crocketed pinnacles and
single central pinnacle with weathercock. 4 corner buttresses, 4
setoffs plus plinths. First stage has to south 2 stair lights
and chamfered unglazed opening. West side has chamfered and
moulded doorway with four centred arched head and hood mould, and
C19 traceried panelled door. Above, C15 cusped head triple
lancet with panel tracery and moulded reveal with hood mould.
Second stage has to south a chamfered round headed opening with
grill. To north, a re-set corbel. Third stage has 4 C15 cusped,
transomed triple lancets with panel tracery, louvres and hood
moulds. Nave, 3 bays, restored, has plain eaves and coped east
gable with cross. South side has 3 buttresses, 2 setoffs.
Central buttress has C18 gabled ashlar and slate sundial with
brass fittings. Off-centre restored Perpendicular style
quadruple lancet with round heads, panel tracery, splayed
mullions and coved reveal. Flanked by single C19 Decorated style
double lancets with ogee heads, splayed mullions, chamfered
reveals and hood moulds. North aisle, 3 bays, has deep chamfered
plinth, moulded eaves band, moulded coped parapet inscribed
'1820' amd '1962'. West end has single chamfered lancet. North
side has central C19 porch flanked by single C15 round headed
triple lancets with panel tracery and plain square headed
reveals. North aisle chapel, single bay, has plinth and parapet
like north aisle. 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs, and coped
east gable. To north, central restored C14 double lancet with
ogee heads, splayed mullion, chamfered square headed reveal and
hood mould. East end has restored C14 triple lancet with ogee
and trefoil heads, Decorated tracery and hood mould. Chancel, 2
bays, has chamfered plinth and coped east gable with cross. To
east, 2 C19 gabled corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. North side has
to west, chamfered pointed doorway with hood mould. To west
again, restored C14 Decorated style double lancet with splayed
mullion and splayed square headed reveal with hood mould. East
end has restored C14 Decorated style triple lancet with cusped
ogee heads, reticulated tracery, splayed mullions, chamfered and
rebated reveal and hood mould with mask stops. South side has to
east, 2 C19 Decorated double lancets with ogee heads, splayed
mullions and reveals and hood moulds. To west, restored pointed
low side window with hood mould. North porch, C19 in early C14
style, has 2 diagonal buttresses, single setoff, and coped gable
with cross. North doorway has column responds with moulded
capitals and bases. Each side has a cusped single lancet.
Interior has moulded wall plate and scissor braced principal
rafter roof with spine beam and ashlar pieces. C19 inner doorway
has moulded pointed head with hood mould and C19 door with
ornamental hinges. Nave north arcade, C13, 4 bays, has cruciform
piers with flanking shafts, the flanking shafts of the 2 eastern
piers keeled. All have moulded bases and capitals and matching
east and west reponds. Double chamfered and rebated arches with
hood moulds, foliate and mask stops. Scissor braced C19
principal rafter roof with ashlar pieces. Tower arch, C13.
Double chamfered and rebated, with clustered keeled shaft
responds. First stage has former priest's room, now pigeoncote
with ashlar fireplace with coved and splayed surround, blocked
window to east, and 2 rows of gypsum plaster nest boxes. Plank
door with graffiti 'T H 1867'. North aisle has to west, C17
framed panelling with reeded frieze, and window with C19 stained
glass. East end has C13 chamfered and rebated arch to north
aisle chapel, with beast mask impost. To its left, chamfered
square headed recess. C19 lean-to roof with chamfered timbers.
North aisle chantry chapel endowed 1349 by Sir John and Isolde
Bray. North side has 2 round headed chamfered tomb recesses with
splayed intermediate pier and hood moulds. East end has window
with stained glass, 1925, and chamfered bracket to right. North
east corner has cusped round headed recess and squint. Chancel
arch, C19 in C12 style, double chamfered and rebated with hood
mould and mask stops. Round responds on square bases with
moulded capitals and nail head bands. Chancel north side has, to
east, triangular headed aumbry with C19 door. East end has oak
panelling and window with stained glass, c.1961, flanked by
single mask brackets. South side has to west, low side window
with patterned stained glass. C19 arch braced principal rafter
roof with spine beam. Fittings include C14 octagonal font with
moulded base and bowl, disused C19 octagonal font bowl, C19
fretted panelled timber pulpit on moulded C19 ashlar base and C20
desk-type lectern. Chamfered benches, C19 and traceried panelled
desks, stalls, altar and rail, 1941-49. Oak chest with elaborate
iron strapping, said to be c.1250. C17 armchair with chip-carved
back. Mid C18 panelled oak cradle with turned finials.
Monuments include Baroque style marble war memorial with scrolled
pediment, 1918; marble and slate war memorial tablet from
Methodist Chapel, 1918; notice, 1867, referring to grant for
restoration. Plaque, 1949, referring to chancel furnishings. 4
small C20 memorials.
Listing NGR: SK7367754271
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.