British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Weston

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242848

OS Grid Reference: SK7741668015
OS Grid Coordinates: 477416, 368015
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2036, -0.8424

Location: Main Street, Weston, Nottinghamshire NG23 6ST

Locality: Weston
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG23 6ST

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Weston, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(north side)

1/144 Church of
All Saints
G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1768 and C19.
Coursed rubble and coursed squared rubble, lead and slab roofs.
Ashlar dressings, dressed stone quoins, rubble plinths,
crenellated parapets. West tower and spire, nave, north and
south aisles, chancel, south porch. West tower. 2 stages. C13
and C14, has string course and decorated eaves band with 4
gargoyles and restored crenellated parapet. Octagonal setback
rubble spire with finial and weathercock. Remains of corner
buttress to south east, single setoff, engaged with south aisle.
First stage has to south, clock. To west, C19 single lancet, and
above, plain rectangular light. Second stage has 4 C14 double
lancet bell openings with cusped ogee heads with quatrefoils and
hood moulds with mask stops. Nave clerestory, C16, 4 bays, has
to north 4 crocketed pinnacles, restored, and to south 3
pinnacles. East gable with cross. Each side has 4 C16 triple
lancets, 2 with round and 2 with pointed heads, in plain square
reveals. North aisle, 4 bays, has remains of sill band and 2
irregular plain buttresses, 2 setoffs. C20 external stack at
west end. To west, blocked chamfered pointed arched doorway
flanked to east by 2 and to west by single restored late C14
triple lancets with cusped ogee heads and chamfered mullions and
reveals. West end has a C15 triple lancet with ogee heads, panel
tracery, splayed mullions and reveal and hood mould with mask
stops. East end has late C14 triple lancet with ogee heads,
restored Decorated tracery with fleurons, chamfered mullions and
reveal. South aisle, 4 bays, has 2 coped gables and 3 irregular
buttresses, 2 setoffs. East end has late C14 triple lancet with
ogee heads, Decorated tracery with mouchettes, chamfered and
splayed reveal and mullions. West end has a similar lancet
restored C20. South side has to east, 2 C15 partly restored
double lancets with ogee heads, Decorated tracery, splayed
mullions and splayed and rebated reveals. To west a late C14
restored triple lancet of similar design, with square headed
reveal. Chancel, 2 bays, has moulded eaves band and crenellated
east gable with cross. East end has 2 C19 diagonal buttresses, 2
setoffs. North side has to west, restored C15 quadruple lancet
with ogee heads, Decorated tracery with mouchettes, chamfered
square headed reveal and hood mould with mask stops. East end
has a restored C14 quadruple lancet with cusped heads and
Decorated tracery, splayed mullions and reveal and hood mould
with mask stops. South side has central C15 priest's door with
chamfered reveal with four centred arched head and hood mould
with mask stops. Traceried panelled door. Flanked by single C15
triple lancets with ogee heads, Decorated tracery, hood moulds
and mask stops. South porch, C14, restored, has deep moulded and
chamfered plinth, chamfered eaves, 2 diagonal buttresses to
south, single setoff. Slab roof with roll moulded ridge. Coped
gables with kneelers and cross. South doorway has restored cove
and roll moulded reveal with single column imposts, moulded
capitals and bases. Coved hood mould. Each side has a single
chamfered lancet. Interior has moulded eaves and ridge. South
inner doorway C14 with cove and roll mouldings with fillets.
Nave arcades, late C13, 4 bays, octagonal piers with moulded
bases and capitals, one with dogtooth. 4 octagonal imposts with
mask corbels. Double chamfered and rebated arches. Restored C15
principal rafter roof with moulded principal timbers, the ridge
inscribed 'J W 1768 R W'. C19 corbels carrying C19 moulded tie
beams with arch braces and struts to ridge. Tower arch, C14,
double chamfered and rebated, dying into chamfered surround. C20
timber screen with central door and above, leaded light. Tower
chamber has cleft timber ladder to bell stage. Bells dated 1550,
1646, 1880. North aisle has window with stained glass panel,
1978, and east window with stained glass panel, 1973. C19 lean-
to roof on corbels, with moulded arch braces and principal
timbers. South aisle has on south side, remains of stoup with
ogee head. Roof like north aisle with 4 re-used corbels.
Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated, with moulded
octagonal imposts with beast corbels. North side hasrestored
double cusped head recess. East end has window with patterned
C19 stained glass. C19 principal rafter roof with chamfered
timbers and foliate bosses. Fittings include plain C12 tub font
with chamfered round base, restored C18 fielded panelled timber
pulpit with stencilled decoration, and C20 timber eagle lectern
with octagonal traceried panelled stem. C19 traceried and
billeted benches incorporating 21 C15 traceried panelled bench
ends. 2 C19 benches with fleur de lys finials, incorporating C17
and C18 plain, traceried and carved panels. Carved and panelled
C19 clergy desk. 2 C17 arm chairs with chip carved panelled
backs. C18 iron bound parish chest. Single C19 stacked tube
radiator. Memorials include inscribed marble tablet, 1729, by
Paul Jenkinson to Prudence Fiennes. Marble and slate tablet,
1896. Brass and slate war memorial tablet, byrass, 1929, roll of
honour, 2 small C20 memorials.

Listing NGR: SK7741668015

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.