Description: Church of St Lawrence
Date Listed: 8 December 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 244085
OS Grid Reference: SP4103434593
OS Grid Coordinates: 441034, 234593
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0083, -1.4036
MILCOMBE MAIN ROAD
SP4134 (South side)
9/74 Church of St. Lawrence
Church. C13. Restoration by G.E. Street 1859 (Pevsner). Ironstone with
Welsh slate roof. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, north porch. West
tower of 3 stages with crenellated parapet, finials and diagonal buttresses.
Single lancets to second stage and paired lancets to bell tower. Fragments
of C13 stonework in hood moulds and moulded jambs of west door and in north
aisle window which has Y-tracery. 1859 rebuilding included chancel, nave,
south door, north aisle and north porch. All windows with geometrical tracery
date from the restoration. Interiors C15 screen with tracery in the upper and
lower panels. Repainted in C19. Tracery from former Perpendicular bench ends
fixed to a panel in the east end of the north aisle. C15 font with small bowl
on an octagonal pedestal.
(Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, 1974, p.704).
Listing NGR: SP4103434593
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.