If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Manor House and Abutting Kitchen Block
Date Listed: 8 December 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 244675
OS Grid Reference: SP3864640167
OS Grid Coordinates: 438646, 240167
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0585, -1.4377
Explore more of the area around Shutford, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.
SHUTFORD BANBURY ROAD
13/119 Manor House and abutting
08/12/55 kitchen block
Manor house now house. Possibly built c.1580 for Sir Richard Fiennes. Porch,
kitchen block and staircase projection added in C17. Restored in 1927-8 by
Walter Tapper for the owner Mr. M.E. Baner, and west wing added. Restorations
and repairs 1986. South, garden front. Ashlar ironstone. Steeply pitched stone
slate roof. Stone end, ridge and lateral stack with some diagonally set shafts.
Stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. 3-unit plan plus attached kitchen
block and C20 wing. 3 storeys. 5-window range. 2 entrances both with
corresponding doorways on north. To left a blocked 4-centred arched doorway to
former screens passage between hall and service. Entrance off-centre to right to
former passage between hall and parlour has a gabled stone porch with a mixture
of classical and medieval detail: Tudor arch with attached columns and
entablature. Plank door. Ground floor has three 3-light stone mullioned and
transomed windows to left of porch and 2-light and 3-light similar windows to
right of porch. First floor has four 4-light and a 3-light stone mullioned and
transomed windows. Third floor has five 3-light stone mullioned windows. String
courses above ground and first floors. Right end has 6-light stone mullioned and
transomed windows with king mullions to ground and first floors and a 4-light
stone mullioned and transomed window to the third floor. Left end has a small
projecting 3-storey garderobe tower and adjoining this an almost square 2-storey
kitchen block. Rear. Gabled 4-storey staircase tower has 2- and 3-light stone
mullioned windows. To left a 2-storey C17 addition with doorway with chamfered
stone head and 3-light stone mullioned windows. To right C20 additions in C17
style, including wing by Walter Tapper. 2 and 3 storeys. Main building has
windows of cavetto section, the C17 and C20 additions have windows of flat splay
section. Interior. Original plan of parlour, hall and service with 2 screens
passages now obscured by C20 alterations. Now 3 rooms on ground floor including
parlour, hall (20' x 38') and small room now dining room. Hall and parlour have
large lateral fireplaces, that in the hall with fine moulding. Fine square
headed doorway leads from the hall to the stair tower. Solid oak baulks tops
built round a central newel, the flights 5 feet wide with quarter landings.
First and second floors are divided by timber partitions providing three
spacious chambers on each floor. 8-bay butt-purlin, collar-rafter roof with
jointed wall posts and straight windbraces. C17 panelling, stop-chamfered beams,
plank doors, wrought-iron casement fasteners. Kitchen block. Ashlar ironstone.
Steeply pitched stone slate roof. Stone end stack. Square plan. 2 storeys plus
attic. 2- and 3-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops.
Original throughway between kitchen and the hall via the garderobe tower which
now contains a C20 concrete spiral staircase. The second or top storey (long
room) is said to have been used by William 1st Viscount Saye and Sele to
secretly drill soldiers during the Civil War. A notable sub-medieval example
providing a direct antecedent for the yeoman house of the C17, in relation to
development of plan type, architectural detailing, and roof structure. The
earliest example in the Banbury region of a house with a complete second floor.
(Beesley, A, History of Banbury, p238; Wood-Jones, R.W., Traditional Domestic
Architecture in the Banbury Region, 1963, pp7208; Buildings of England:
Oxfordshire: 1974,p766; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p233)
Listing NGR: SP3864640167
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.