Description: New College, North Range Hall, Kitchen and Chapel, Great Quadrangle
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245034
OS Grid Reference: SP5176306444
OS Grid Coordinates: 451763, 206444
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7543, -1.2515
North Range Hall,
Kitchen and Chapel
SP 5106 SE 9/242E 12,1.54.
On the East, it starts on an undercroft (reconstructed in 1722 by William
Townesend). Contains notable early C16 panelling and screen. The roof,
1865, to design of Sir Gilbert Scott, based on the original.
Kitchen to East of Hall. Built circa 1386 with Buttery and Pantry at West
end and staircase turret on North West angle with cellar below. The roof
timbers probably original.
Chapel on the West, with ante-chapel, late C14. Restored by James Wyatt
in 1789-94 and by Sir Gilbert Scott, 1877-81. The sacristy and music room
on North are probably C15 but were restored in 1860. The South exterior
side partly refaced in 1902 and since patched in synthetic stone. Contains
notable contemporary stained glass, reset 1948, and some of C18 and notable
brasses and misericords. The College war memorial on the South wall of
the Ante-Chapel was designed by Charles Holden in 1920 and has lettering
by Eric Gill.
Listing NGR: SP5174406448
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.