Description: The Queens College, West Range
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245097
OS Grid Reference: SP5177406359
OS Grid Coordinates: 451774, 206359
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7535, -1.2513
THE QUEEN'S COLLEGE
Back (or North) Quadrangle
SP 5106 SE 9/355B 12.1.54.
The Library built in 1692-94 possibly to design of Dean Aldrich; it has been
refaced in Clipsham stone. The master mason was John Townesend, Thomas
Heughes the carpenter and the joiners Thomas Minn, senior and junior. The
eagles on the pediment, the keystones and the statues in niches on West side
were made by J Vanderstien. The ground floor had an open loggia but was
enclosed by C R Cockerell in 1843. The interior was altered in 1756 when
a plaster ceiling was made by Thomas Roberts.
Listing NGR: SP5177406363
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.