Description: St Johns College, Canterbury Quadrangle
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245129
OS Grid Reference: SP5133206648
OS Grid Coordinates: 451332, 206648
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7562, -1.2577
ST J0HN'S COLLEGE
SP 5106 NW 5/525E 12.1.54.
Built 1631-36 by Laud, originally in Headington stone and incorporating
old library of 1596-8 in South range, the masons being, 1631-33, Richard
Maude, Hugh Davis and Robert Smith and, 1633-36, John Jackson with Anthony
Gore and Harry Acres, carvers. The whole refaced in Clipsham stone, 1922-36.
On East and West sides is a loggia and elaborate centrepiece (possibly by
Nicholas Stone), the statues being by Hubert le Suer. The pillars of Bletchingdon
stone, 5 being replaced, 1905, in Portland stone. Major internal alteration
Garden front of the East Range on East has 5 oriels and fan-vaulted passageway;
retains Headington stone with dressings renewed in Clipsham stone 1918.
Upper floor has library fitted up 1838.
1st floor on West Range and West part of North Range forms President's Lodging.
Listing NGR: SP5132706623
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.