Description: The Playhouse
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245325
OS Grid Reference: SP5107406499
OS Grid Coordinates: 451074, 206499
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7549, -1.2615
Nos 5 to 7 (consec).
Nos 11 to 23 (consec).
SP 5106 NW 5/134 12.1.54.
SP 5106 SW 8/134
Laid out, with St John Street, as a unified terrace-type scheme in 1828-37
on the site of the ancient palace of Beaumont. 5-storeyed Bath stone fronts
on brick, with cellars, a moulded cornice and a small parapet. Some have
a mansard roof to an attic floor. There are 2 to 3 sash windows with glazing
bars in each floor and most have iron balconies at the 1st floor while some
(eg Nos 34 and 35) have good verandah balconies. The doorways, have semi-circular
heads and some, mostly on the South side have stone door frames with engaged
columns and split pediments. The Playhouse (on site of Nos 8, 9 and 10)
was built in 1938 in harmony with the rest in Clipsham ashlar. The interiors
show that the fireplaces are placed at the sidewalls, the central chimney-stack
having disappeared. For plan of No 15 (a typical house), see Antiq Jnl XXVII
(1947), p 132 and Fig 8 G. Playhouse altered 1964.
All the listed buildings in beaumont Street form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5107406499
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.