Description: 123, High Street
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245535
OS Grid Reference: SP5145806194
OS Grid Coordinates: 451458, 206194
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7521, -1.2560
SP 5106 SW 8/340 12.1.54.
House and shop on North-West corner of Alfred Street. Of indeterminate date
but the front is probably an alteration of that built possibly late in C18.
3-storeyed stuccoed timber-framing with a moulded eaves cornice and a small
parapet. The South side is built in brick and appears modern. In the 1st
and 2nd floors is a 3-light modern sash window. Graded II in relation to
Nos 124 and 125 with which it has a continuous eaves cornice. History.
The site of the Bear Inn, formerly the Tabard, and was once one of the largest
Inns in Oxford. It was rebuilt in 1790 and sold in 1801, when it was divided
in half. Alterations 1964.
All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5145806194
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.