Description: Kemp Hall
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245538
OS Grid Reference: SP5142506168
OS Grid Coordinates: 451425, 206168
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7519, -1.2564
1. HIGH STREET
SP 5106 SW 8/343 12.1.54.
RCHM 78. House lying to the South end at the back of No 130 High Street.
Built by Alderman William Boswell in 1637 and is "one of the best preserved,
least altered of the sub-medieval buildings in oxford". It received a certain
restoration in 1930. It is a "passage" type of house in a long rectangular
plan with axis North and South and faces East. 2-storeyed plastered timber-framing
with cellars and 5 attic gables, corresponding to to 5 bays, the West wall
is of stone and contains the stacks and has 4 gables. The East elevation
has a stone plinth in which are the cellar windows; in the ground floor is
a wood-framed doorway with moulded jambs and a 4-centred head in the spandrels
of which is the date 1637; over it is an elaborate hood with moulded pendants;
3 original window-frames of 2 and 3 lights each remain, having moulded moulded
mullions. There is an overhang at the 1st and 2nd floors. In the 1st floor
are 5 scroll-bracketed oriels having moulded frames and mullions; the two
oriels on the North have been altered and joined into one. In the gables
are 2, 3 and 4-light mullioned windows, the one in the centregablebeing
boxed out. There is a tiled and Welsh slate roof.
Interior. RCHM page 166. Includes original fireplaces and doorways and
an original staircase. For plans, sections and elevations see Antiq. Jnl.
(1947), page 131 and figure 11. History. Alderman Boswell lived in No 130
and built this house in his garden. It was once used as the Police Station
All the listed buildings on the South Side from a group.
Listing NGR: SP5142506168
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.