Description: Church of St Mary Magdalen
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245633
OS Grid Reference: SP5125806471
OS Grid Coordinates: 451258, 206471
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7546, -1.2588
612/8/137 MAGDALEN STREET
12-JAN-54 CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN
Parish church. (RCHM 35). Late C13 chancel. South chapel, circa 1330.
North and South aisles have arcades rebuilt early in Cl6. West tower, between
1511 and 1531. South porch, warly Cl6. Cl7 and C18 monuments. Church restored,
1840-42, which included rebuilding of North aisle by Scott and Moffatt and
the South aisle by Blore. Restored, galleries removed and tower and roofs
repaired, 1875, by William Wilkinson. Tower parapet restored, 1890, and windows
and buttresses on South and South West restored, 1912-13, by H W Moore.
Fittings include Cl6/Cl7 and Cl9 (O'connor) glass. The Cl9 restoration was
as a memorial to the Oxford Martyrs.
Listing NGR: SP5125906470
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.