Description: The Judges Lodging
Date Listed: 12 January 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 245817
OS Grid Reference: SP5121206821
OS Grid Coordinates: 451212, 206821
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7577, -1.2594
ST GILES' STREET
(The Judge's Lodging)
SP 5106 NW 5/550 12.1.54.
RCHM 183. Built in 1702. 2-storeyed ashlar (refaced in 1932) with cellars
and rusticated quoins. Moulded cornice, pedimented centrepiece and a stone
slate roof in which are 4 gabled attic dormers. Stone stacks. The North
part was altered Cl8-Cl9, when the 2 windows in the 1st floor were lengthened,
the front doorway also seems to have been altered. There are 7 sash windows
with glazing bars in moulded frames, those in the ground floor having cornices.
The back is similar and has a stone doorway with an ornamented shell hood
on scrolled brackets. On the roof is an inscription "Thomas Rowney, Esq,
Elizabeth his wife, Anno 1702". At the side on South,is a carriageway.
Interior. RCHM p 179 a. Includes contemporary panelling, 2 staircases and
a plaster ceiling. The whole much altered during recent restoration.
Nos 1, 11 to 17 (consec), 19, 2Q, Black Hall, Part of Queen Elizabeth House
and Nos 22 and 23 form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5121606818
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.