Description: St Mary and St John First School
Date Listed: 13 May 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 245968
OS Grid Reference: SP5317105147
OS Grid Coordinates: 453171, 205147
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7425, -1.2313
St. Mary and St. John
Formerly St. Mary and St. John Infants School, c. 1902. W Bucknall and
J N Comper. Free Gothic. H-p1an school with central hall and classrooms
to north, east and south. Red brick with dormers of roughcast and imitated
half timbering. Tiled roofs. Windows throughout have Tudor arches and
single chamfer, heavy wooden casements with all glazing bars. Facade to
Hertford Street : Gabled wings with round coping and three stepped windows.
The centre is of six bays with crenellated parapet and buttresses with two
setbacks. Two large triangular dormers centred over second and fifth bays.
On central buttress a small cusped stone niche with figure of St. Mary and
foundation stone with worn applied lettering. Asymmetrical end facades,
each with Tudor lancets under central gable and plank door with ornamental
hinges to right hand side. Rear facade of five gables, the three in centre
over triple windows. Two dormers as at front.
Interior. Central hall with wide pointed wooden tunnel vault, brought
to seven corbels on each side by small cross vaults above large glazed partitions
which light the classrooms on east, and windows on west. Vault defined by
delicate roll-moulded ribs on arrises and perpendicular to the ridge, painted
brown, dark blue and gold (said to reproduce the original scheme). Classrooms
under tunnel vaults running out from walls of hall.
Listing NGR: SP5317105147
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.