If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Stonor House and Attached Walls and Buildings
Date Listed: 24 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 247532
OS Grid Reference: SU7425289228
OS Grid Coordinates: 474252, 189228
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5970, -0.9294
Explore more of the area around Pishill with Stonor, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.
PISHILL WITH STONOR STONOR
5/60 Stonor House and attached
24/10/51 walls and buildings
(Formerly listed as Stonor
House including buildings to
south-east of house)
Country house. C13: hall with front solar/service block and detached chapel.
c.1350 for Sir John Stonor: Hall with flanking service and solar wings added to
left. Right wing and chapel tower. c.1530 for Sir Walter Stonor: left wing and
timber-framed room to kitchen. c.1590-1600: front remodelled and refronted, rear
gallery added and left half of C13 hall demolished to make courtyard. c.1750-60:
front and rear elevations remodelled, wings to right and rear left rebuilt.
Chapel redecorated 1796-1800 by James Thorpe and Drawing Room of c.1834 by
George Masters. West wing and front wall to left of mid C16 brick; C18 brick to
right of mid C16 brick porch and to rear; outer side walls of flint rubble with
brick dressings and C15 brick to right. Chapel of flint rubble with limestone
ashlar dressings: tower of early C15 brick. Gabled old and C20 tile roofs,
hipped roofs to front wings; shortened C15 lateral stack to right, and numerous
C16-C18 brick stacks. U-plan with front projecting wings and chapel with tower
to right of front. Central porch has mid C18 ogee-arches over tripartite sashes,
and 3 mid C16 allegorical figures over and flanking early C16 segmental-arched
doorway and studded inner door with Gothick overlight. Gauged brick flat arches
over mid/late C18 sashes; modillioned cornice; 6 pedimented roof dormers. Gable
end of left wing has early C19 oriel with sashes over door, and mid C18
polygonal turret with castellated parapet. Gable end of right wing has canted
bay attached to chapel: lancets in gable walls and 3-bay front wall; C18 studded
door set in pointed moulded left gable doorway. C15 tower has one-light window
and moulded brick cornice to hipped roof with C18 bell cupola and weathercock.
Mid C18 rear wall has sashes and pedimented doorcase. Interior: four-bay arcade
of C13 aisled hail to rear right. Mid C14 hall has spere truss dividing screens
passage on left and arch-braced collar-truss with ogee-carved braces and butt
purlins; flanking wings have original scissor-truss roofs. Hall remodelled
c.1750-60 in Gothick style by John Aitkins including ogee-arches in screens and
bridge over screens: Gothick ironwork staircase by Gillow added of rear of
screens c.1790; late 16 Flemish glass reset in windows of hall and drawing room
to right by Francis Edinton. Hall divided laterally into 2 rooms c.1834 with
reset Gothick fireplace and C17 panelling to rear, and Drawing Room with 3-bay
Ionic screen to front by George Masters. Similar room with Ionic screen to right
leads to early C18 dog-leg staircase and right wing, which has mid C18
archaeological and pastoral scenes painted over doors in ground-floor room.
First-floor has late C16 barrel-vaulted room to right of hall; wall-painting of
perspective panels, and early C18 round-arched and pedimented doorcases. Mid Cl6
left wing; quartered chamfered beams and early C19 staircase to rear of
trellis-work adjoining timber-framed wall with moulded brick decorative panels.
Chapel: redecorated 1796-1800 by James Thorpe; ogee hoods and finials over
doorways; plaster rib vault on angel corbels by Samuel Klerrod; Gothick iron
altar rails and stained glass by Francis Edinton including east window (dated
1799 and repaired), and 3 of originally 4 Fathers of the Church; altar by Henry
Blundell of Ince. Subsidiary features: C18 walls to rear and left of flint with
brick dressings, brick with blue brick diaper patterns, and with terrace and
late C18 brick Gothick-style stable attached to left. The Stonors remained
staunchly Catholic throughout the Reformation and during the Jesuit Mission of
1580 Stonor House was visited by Father Edmund Campion who printed his "Decem
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, pp.142-7, 174-6; Buildings of England:
Oxfordshire, pp.791-4; Arthur Oswald, "Stonor Park", Country Life, Vol.108
(1950), pp.1094-9, 1188-92, 1282-6; Rupert Gunnis, Dictionary of British
Sculptors, 1660-1851, p.113; R.J. Stonor, Stonor, 1951; H.M. Colvin, A
Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1840, 1978, pp.61,547,827).
Listing NGR: SU7425489230
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.