If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: The Cottage
Date Listed: 13 January 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 247894
OS Grid Reference: SU5564785785
OS Grid Coordinates: 455647, 185785
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5682, -1.1985
Explore more of the area around Aston Tirrold, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.
In the entry for:
ASTON TIRROLD ASTON STREET
9/10 The Cottage
The grade and the description shall be amended to read:
SU 5585 ASTON TIRROLD ASTON STREET
1060- /9/10 The Cottage
House. 1286 (west wing) and perhaps 1508 (east wing), with major additions 1620 (north
wing). Restored 1956 and 1991-2. Timber frame, with water reed thatch (1991). West wing
is of two bays with hipped end, north wing of one cell with single cell east wing in angle
between the other two wings. Large stack in southern bay of north wing. One storey west
wing (formerly two), two storeys to the rest. West wing is of box frame construction on a
sole plate (entirely replaced 1992). Much original wattle-and-daub infills, some replaced
1992, all like the frame now limewashed. Bays are defined by full-height posts which support
wallplates and tie beams in normal assembly, though only the outer two ties are original. Post
feet, storey girts and studs repaired and in placed replaced. Posts are braced to wall-plates and
ties, but these braces are visible externally only at the west end. Here they are crossed near
the top of the facade by an applied but original chamfered and stopped sill piece, forming
the plinth for a four-light window reconstructed 1992. This has octagonal mullions with
carved bases and caps, similar responds, and a cusped arched headboard fitted against the
mullions and into rebates in the jambs. The headboard is carved "1286", "J" and "B" (for
Joan and Bryan Bateman, owners). The south face of this wing has a small diamond-mullion
window of 4 lights tucked under the western brace and two C20 casements. The north face
has a C20 casement and a small ventilator of 1286, a pierced board in pointed quatrefoil
form, the opening defined by a chamfer, quick and scribed circle. A ham-hung shutter
survives behind. West wing interior is now a single space. Open staircase occupies the
original position at east end. Timbers are fully visible including dragon ties, possible truncated
passing braces to central truss and wallplate jointed on north side by a tabled scarf with
undersquinted abutments. A similar scarf on the south has this detail on the top side only.
Open roof is 1992 queen strut and wind braced, reinstatement of C16 pattern which
survived until 1956, designed by Daniel Miles. The north wing is of heavy framing, painted
black, with arched braces to wallplate. One window per storey, C20 casements. C20 plank
door in early chamfered frame close to junction with west wing and therefore opposite the
axial stack. Gable end has casements above tie, otherwise obscured by C20 flat-roofed brick
addition of one storey running to C20 garage with pitched tiled roof Garden side shows
different builds with adjacent posts, and storey girt only to north wing. Three C20 fixed
windows, and glazed door to east wing. North wing inside has wide plank door to kitchen,
and very elaborately moulded bressummer to large fireplace; heavy joists. Roof over this
portion a modern replacement after fire in 1956. East wing inside has large brick fireplace
with herringbone back, inserted floor dated 1620 on eastern ledge with evidence for a smoke
hood showing in its north eastern portion. Beam with ovolo chamfer and double jewel stops,
heavily carved bracket, zigzag and gouging on ledges. Old brick and tile floor. Roof over
this portion replaced after fire in 1956. History: The west wing has been dated by
dendrochronology to 1286. It is likely that it then formed the Solar wing to a small house
of which the hall adjoined at the north east corner, on the site of the present north wing.
The house probably belonged to a half-yardlander. The sole plate of the west wing has been
dated to 1508 and this may also be the date of the east wing. In 1620 this single storey block
was floored and perhaps at the same time the north wing constructed, re-using an earlier
fireplace bressummer. It has since been shortened by at least one bay. The C13 wing is one
of the very few domestic timber-framed buildings of this date to have been discovered in
which aisled construction is not used. Its constructional, and especially decorative, details are
of the highest importance. C R J Currie in Oxoniensia (1992), pp 103-7.
ASTON TIRROLD ASTON STREET
SU5585 (East side)
9/10 The Cottage
Cottage. C17. Large timber framing with rendered infill; recent wood shingle
roof; central brick ridge stack. 2-storey, single-window range. Plank door to
right. 2-light casement to left. 2-light casement to first floor centre.
Interior not inspected. Timber framed cross-wing with rendered infill and
shingled hipped roof, probably former barn, to right.
Listing NGR: SU5564785785
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.