British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Hyde Farmouse, Marcham

Description: Hyde Farmouse

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 12 February 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 249637

OS Grid Reference: SU4596796838
OS Grid Coordinates: 445967, 196838
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6684, -1.3367

Location: 31 Anson Close, Marcham OX13 6NX

Locality: Marcham
Local Authority: Vale of White Horse District Council
County: Oxfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: OX13 6NX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Marcham, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SU4596 (North side)
18/139 Hyde Farmhouse
12/02/87 II

The grade shall be amended to II*

The entry shall be amended to read:-

1695-0/18/139 (North side)

12/02/87 Hyde Farmhouse

- II*

Farmhouse. Circa late C13 or early C14; remodelled circa late Middle Ages, remodelled and extended
circ mid C16 and mid C17. Limestone rubble. Stone tile roof, the higher courses plain tiles, hipped
left end, gabled at the end of rear wing. Stone axial and gable end stacks with brick shafts.
PLAN: The original Medieval house comprised a long open hall of 3 bays seperated from a service bay
at the south end, probably also open to the roof. Later in the Middle Ages the high, north, end bay
of the hall was partitioned from the remainder of the hall, while remaining open to the roof; the north
bay was subsequently floored, probably before the centre bay of the hall was floored in circa mid C16,
leaving the remaining south bay of the hall open as a smoke bay, into which a chimney was inserted
in circa 1600, creating a cross-passage on its lower, south, side. The south, service bay was floored
probably in the C17. There is a wing on the east side of the north bay, the first part of which is circa
mid C16 and timber-framed with one room and a cross-passage adjacent to the main range; this was
extended in 1652 by John Prince, who built a parlour with a chamber above. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys,
asymmetrical 4-window west front. Various 3 and 4-light C17 and C18 casement windows with leaded
panes, the 5-light hall window to the left of centre and the 3-light window above breaking the eaves have
ovolo-moulded mullions and frames. Doorway to right of centre with circa late Medieval chamfered
and shouldered wooden frame with chambered head and later plank door. At rear, east, outshuts in angle
with wing on right. The wing is timber-framed with brick infill and extended in stone rubble with
ovolo-moulded wooden mullion windows with leaded panes, first floor window on south side replaced
in C20, its 1556 dated internal cill removed. INTERIOR:Little altered and retaining many C17 and
earlier features. C17 plank doors, panelled cupboard doors and stone flag floors. Cross-passage has
unchamfered joists and stud partition to service side. Service room to right has roughly chamfered
cross-beam with diagonal stops and unchamferedjoists. Hall has high ceiling with chamfered cross-beam
and broad joists all with hollow step stops and large fireplace with lightly chamfered cambered timber
lintel, oven and gun-rack above. Inner, north, room has low ceiling with roughly chamfered axial beam
without stops and unchamfered joists. Parlour in rear wing has chamfered axial beam with bar stops,
wide fireplace with low chamfered lintel and plasterwork above, dated 1652 and with initials P/IM.
Chamber above has similar plasterwork fireplace overmantel, exposed timber-framing of earlier bay of
wing, which has jowled storey-posts and cambered tie-beam. Inner room chamber has exposed
smoke-blackening above tie-beam in partition. Chamber over cross-passage has small fireplace with
cambered lintel and staircase rising from hall with splat balusters. The Medieval 4-bay roof survives
largely intact; the 2 north trusses of the long 3-bay open hall have pairs of parallel rafters, the inner
rafters rising to a collar, the outer rising to the ridge, which is square-set on a small yoke; 2 tiers of
purlins, the upper one trenched, the lower trapped between the parallel rafters; wind-braces from the
inner rafter to the upper purlin. Some of the original common rafters survive. The 3 north bays are
smoke-blackened and the lower end, south, truss is an open timber-framed partition, [sooted on both
sides], with studding, clasped purlins and similar yoke and ridge. The principals ofthe south end truss
survive in the gable-end wall. The roof of the north bay has been partly rebuilt with a hip. Rear wing
has clasped-purlin roof SOURCE: Curde,C.R.J., Medieval Houses; Oxoniensia,LVII [1992], pp


SU4596 (North side)
18/139 Hyde Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse, now house. Late C15/early C16: successive C16 extensions to left and
to rear. Uncoursed limestone rubble, but mors coursed to right; hipped and
gabled roof of old tiles on higher courses over stone slates; ridge stack of
stone finished in brick; C18 brick end stacks. House extended to 3-unit
through-passage plan and then L-plan with rear left wing. 2 storeys; 4-window
range. Timber lintel over C20 plank door set in heavy pegged frame right of
centre. Timber lintels over C20 casements, C18 three-light casement to right,
and central late C16/C17 four-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned window: similar
3-light window in half-dormer above. Rear outshut of limestone rubble adjoins
2-bay rear wing: timber-framed of 2 rectangular panels deep, with 2-light leaded
casement to right: later stone wall to left has C17 2-light window with heavy
pegged frame. Rear bay: of uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins:
chamfered timber lintels over 4-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned windows,
window to left having cames of thick quarry glass and 1556 date on internal
sill: 2-light wood-mullioned window in rear gable. Interior: front range: stone
flag floors, stop-chamfered beans, C17 plant: doors. Gunrack and chamfered
bressumer over central open fireplace: behind stack is entry to through-passage,
with stud partition to right, and C17 plank door to rear straight-run stairs
with C17 splat balusters at top. First floor has C17 plank and ribbed doors,
stop-chamfered beams, two stud partitions with wattle and daub infill, and C17
cupboard with butterfly hinges to rear of stack. Collar-truss roof with butt
purlins: 3-bay to left of stack, and 2-bay with heavy smoke blackening to right.
2-bay timber-framed extension: stop-chamfered ground-floor beam intersected by
later C17 passage with stud wall and plank door: queen-post truss and
timber-framed, originally external, rear wall with arch braces. Rear bay:
chamfered stepped-stop beams, with chamfered joists on ground floor. C17 spice
clipboard, and door to newel stairs flank rear stack, which has provincial
ornamental plasterwork. Ground-floor fireplace has initials P/IM, flanked by
pentacle and date 1652 within quadrant of circle, set in overmantel of imitation
scribed panels, above imitation masonry: first-floor fireplace has overmantel of
large scrolls flanking pentacle within circle, above similar imitation masonry.
This house has a very well preserved vernacular interior: the plasterwork is
especially noteworthy.

Listing NGR: SU4596796838

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.