Description: 28, East St Helen Street
Date Listed: 19 January 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 250359
OS Grid Reference: SU4975296917
OS Grid Coordinates: 449752, 196917
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6688, -1.2820
752 EAST ST HELEN STREET
(South East Side)
SU 4996 1/191 19.1.51 No. 28
Probably dates originally from the C16, but main features are early C18.
Large building of two storeys. The upper storey is rendered above a
wood string cornice. Tile roof. Seven windows moulded flush frames,
double hung sashes with glazing bars, beneath frieze and cornice.
Ground floor has been rebuilt in modern random rubble. Stone plinth.
Three windows witn cornices under the string cornice. Flat carriage
arch to right, two wood doors. Two small modern windows inserted to
Doorway is similar to that of No.30 (qv). Reeded Composite pilasters
in wood. Architrave with keystone with puttimask ornament and string
cornice under semi-circular open pediment. Ten fielded door.
Two stone steps.
History. Once the lodging for the Judge of Assize. William of Orange
stayed here at Christmas on his way to London when he received the news
that Janes II had fled to France.
Nos. 2 to 60 (even) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU4975296917
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.