Description: Long Alley Almshouses
Date Listed: 19 January 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 250532
OS Grid Reference: SU4966396729
OS Grid Coordinates: 449663, 196729
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6672, -1.2833
752 WEST ST HELEN STREET
SU 4996 1/205 19.1.51 Long Alley Almshouses
Erected by the Fraternity of the Holy Cross in 1446. Row of single
storey buildings in stone with the Guildhall in the centre. Brick
stacks. Long oak cloister walk in front is circa 1500 and to it were
added three elaborate C17 porches with paintings in panels executed by
Sampson Strong of Oxford in 1605.
The Hall was panelled at the same time and the mullioned bay window of
stone added to the garden side, as well as the good octagonal lantern
on the hall roof which bears the date of its repair, 1707.
(See Preston, "Christ's Hospital" (1930), pp 8-32 and VCH Berks IV).
Twitty's Almshouses, Long Alley Almshouses, Brick Alley Almshouses and
Church of St Helen form a group
Listing NGR: SU4965796736
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.