Description: The Manor House
Date Listed: 10 November 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 250932
OS Grid Reference: SU3368994804
OS Grid Coordinates: 433689, 194804
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6510, -1.5144
HATFORD CHURCH STREET
SU39SW (North side)
5/102 The Manor House
House. Late C17. Coursed limestone rubble, except Flemish bond brick to rear
left and left side of rear wing; stone slate roof; limestone ashlar stack.
L-plan. 2 storeys; 5-window range. Early C20 double-leaf doors and porch on
plain limestone columns to right. Flat stone arches on ground floor, timber
lintels on first floor to late C19 horned sashes. Late C18 brick parapet and
rainwater goods. Hipped roof; fine ashlar ridge stack has moulded cap. To right
wall are 2 early C18 sashes with thick glazing bars and three 2-light wood cross
windows: the rear half of this wall has two crass gables with a gable end stack.
Wall to rear left has 4-window range of blocked windows and 2 sashes: vitrified
brick walling with contrasting red brick dressings: moulded gauged brick plinth,
string course and dentilled cornice. Adjoining left side wall of rear wing in
similar style: 5-window range of sashes, one opening mutilated by inserted door;
moulded brick plinth moulded gauged brick. Floating cornices over all sashes;
gabled roof, gable end stack. Interior: Original panelled shutters and
2-panelled doors. Both rooms of front block retain original panelling with
moulded cornices and early C20 fireplaces. Forming the entry to the stairs are
three semi-circular keyed arches with moulded imposts and panelled reveals.
Dog-leg with landing stairs, turned balusters on closed stringy left side of
stairs has panelled dado continued to first floor. Landing at top of stairs has
moulded plaster cornice. Dog-leg with winders stair to right side of front and
straight-flight stairs to rear right have turned balusters on closed string.
Roof trusses obscured by lath and plaster. Throughout the house are some
original moulded cornices and also the rear of panelling visible from cupboards
but obscured at the front by later partitions. Subsidiary features: Late C17
brewhouse, single storey with attic remodelled in early C19, attached to gable
wall of rear wing. Coursed limestone rubble and brick, early C19 brick to left
side wall; stone slate roof, old tile roofing to part of right side; brick
stack. Gabled roof. Interior: Stone open fireplace to rear, C18 plank door to
quarter-turn stairs to loft. 5-bay roof is mostly obscured.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.461; V.M. Howse, Hatford: A Parish Record, 1976,
pp.21-2; P.J. Goodrich, A History of Hatford, 1927, pp.13-17).
Listing NGR: SU3368994804
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.