If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 22 April 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 251154
OS Grid Reference: SU3969087912
OS Grid Coordinates: 439690, 187912
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5887, -1.4285
Explore more of the area around Wantage, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.
WANTAGE CHURCH STREET
SU3987NE (North side)
9/59 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. Late C13 cruciform plan with tower; chancel extended in C15; C15 chapels
and aisles; restored by G.E. Street 1857 and extended one bay to west in 1877 by
W. Butterfield. Coursed and random limestone rubble; limestone ashlar to C15
north and south chapels; sheet metal roof, stone slates to transepts. Cruciform
plan with tower over crossing. Geometrical style east window by G.E. Street,
c.1857; offset corner buttresses; south wall of chancel has C15 four-centred
moulded blocked doorway, offset buttress and C15 three-light window, also to
north wall. G.E. Street heightened chancel and inserted late C13 style
clerestory windows. North chapel of chancel has C15 offset buttresses, one C15
two-light and two C15 three-light square-headed windows and mid C19 inserted
pointed roll-moulded doorway. Similar windows without label moulds and with
gargoyles to parapet of south chapel. South transept has pointed moulded doorway
of c.1877, offset buttresses, left angle buttress having mid C18 wall tablet;
C13 lancet in west wall, 4-light late C13 style south window of c.1857; chapel
to east has one C15 two-light and one C15 three-light window, parapet continued
through to south chapel. North transpet has offset corner buttresses, hood
moulds over C15 three-light north window and two-light east window. North wall
of nave has pointed arches over two C15 four-light windows; C15 sacristy has
quatrefoil window and chamfered 4-centred window to east, label mould over mid
C19 three-light north window in C15 style, and,one-light window adjoining C15
chamfered square-headed west doorway. South wall of nave has similar aisle and
clerestory windows and C18 wall tablet to east. C15 porch removed from original
central position to west end by Butterfield, 1877; reset C15 south doorway with
carved leaf spandrels and C15 ribbed door. West wall of nave rebuilt in 1877 by
Butterfield, has C15 style 4-light windows to aisles, offset buttresses and 2
reset late C13 two-light transomed windows. Tower over crossing has late C13
two-light windows, polygonal stair-turret to south-west and corbel table to
crenellated parapet. Gabled roof, except lean-to aisle and chapel roofs.
Interior: Chancel has fine reredos, Minton tile floor, altar rail and benches of
c.1857. Late C14 stalls with bench-end and misericord carvings. Alabaster effigy
of Sir William Fitzwarin, d.1361, and his wife to north, formerly with canopy.
C13 piscina, wall monument to William Wilmot, d.1684, and signed by William Bird
of Oxford. North wall has four-centred moulded doorway with C15 ribbed door, and
aedicule with scrolled pediment framing wall tablet with date 1621 above. 6-bay
arch-braced collar-truss roof of c.1857 above clerestory inserted by Street. C15
two-bay arcade and C15 screen and door with one-light cinquefoil-headed
divisions to south chapel, which has two C15 piscinas, early C19 and C18 wall
tablets. Late C13 two-bay arcade and screen of c.1857 to south transept, which
has mid C19 pews and late C14 four-bay arch-braced collar-truss roof with carved
bosses, collar purl in and cornices. North wall of chancel has C15 two-bay arcade
and C15 screen and door, with one-light cinquefoil-headed division to north
chapel which has wall brasses to William Willmott, d.1621 and to a priest
c.1330; C15 lean-to roof; C13 south respond with stiff-leaf capitals and C15
two-bay arcade to north transept. North transept wall brasses to Sir Ives
Fitzwarin, 1414, and of C15 priest, and wall tablets to John Stevens, d.1750 and
Edward Moulden, d.1744; similar 4-bay roof as to south transept. Crossing has
late C13 triple-chamfered arches on clustered columns. Nave has mid C19 pews.
Pulpit of 1857, possibly by G.E. Street, mid C19 pews and "splendid" (Pevsner)
chandelier dated 1711; late C13 four-bay arcade extended one bay to west c.1857;
C15 nine-bay hammerbeam roof on carved corbels extended to west (by 2 bays)
c.1857. North aisle has C15 piscina. South aisle has octagonal font with cover
possibly hy Street, wall tablets to John Watson, d. 1784, and John Stamp,
d.1729, and his wife, by John Townsend Jun; mid C19 lean-to roof; brass to
Walter Talbot d.1522, and 2 wives. Mid/late C19 stained glass: C15 St. Stephen
in west lancet window of south transept, and heraldic shields. South chapel of
chancel given as a chantry in mid C15 by the Trades Guilds of Wantage and
restored in late C19 in memory of Rev. W.J. Butler. North chapel of chancel was
chantry chapel of the Fitzwarin family.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.252-3; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp.326-7;
Kathleen Philip, Victorian Wantage, 1968, pp.65-70; A Gibbons, E.C. Davey,
Wantage Past and Present, 1901, pp.106-136).
Listing NGR: SU3968787913
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.