If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Manor House
Date Listed: 27 August 1956
English Heritage Building ID: 251719
OS Grid Reference: SP3021719020
OS Grid Coordinates: 430217, 219020
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8689, -1.5625
There is also a scheduled monument, Ascott D'oyley 12th Century Motte and Bailey Castle and Associated Earthworks, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Ascott-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.
ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD ASCOTT D'OYLEY
SP 31 NW
Manor House. C13 origins, to one side are fragments of a C12 keep. Largely C16 and
C17. Rubble stone with timber lintels and Cotswold stone roofs. Gabled; irregular
plan with screens passage, basically an 'L' with porches north and south and 2 stair
turret projections to north, one at angle with west wing, the other to east or
centre bay. Roughly 6 bays across. Two storeys. Two sets of square chimneys with
conjoined stacks. The north (entrance) front has Cotswold gables and irregular
disposition. In 2 parts, strong vertical break to right of centre beside a wide
dormer gable. Oak mullion window with ferramenta to right of entrance. The right-
hand wing is domestic and projects with lean-tos to east, the gable end to north has
irregular strings and pigeon-nesting-holes, the west return has 4 windows with
chamfered oak mullions. The south (garden) front has large gable to left. 3 irregu-
lar dormer gables and a roughly central 2-storey gabled porch. Two, 3 and 4-light
C20 casement windows; secondary door to left. The porch has front window to side
entries and masks a good circa 1600 door with urnstops to doorcase and which retains
drawbar and associated furniture. Clasping buttress to right, lower aingle-storey
scullery projection with hipped L-plan nib (? privy); nib to left of left-hand gable
probably was a privy.
Interior: numerous features including 2 probably C17 newel stairs. The most impor-
tant is the large early C13 window surround incorporated in east gable end which has
clasping buttresses and chamfered footings. It seems that the mediaeval arrangement
was altered in the early C16 when the east bay was floored and chimneys inserted
into what probably became the parlour end, the wooden doorcase with urn stops and
the chamfer stops to the beams on each floor appear to be later C16 however. Stairs
off to north giving access to Solar; n.b. the Tudor arch fireplace in 'Solar' moved
here from west end of house. It is possible that the whole house was re-roofed in
the C16, the central portion perhaps still being used as an open hall, see smoke
blackening to the trusses; remains of wind bracing are so scanty and the timbers of
such small scanting however as to suggest a later date and retention of trusses
after 2 fires. The present room off the cross passage has Jacobean panelling and
puzzling joists; the buttery screen (rather skeletal at time of resurvey) has the
usual 3 entries. The fireplaces at the west end have inglenooks and wide bread-
ovens on ground floor and a wide flue; the doorway between the west bay and the wing
projecting to north has a wooden segmental lintel which may be retained from an
earlier arrangement. The projecting wing was still coated in raddle at time of
resurvey and incorporated apple-stores and a former cheese room.
The house stands within the bailey of the castle of Ascott d'Oyley built circa
1129-50. Excavated 1946. See Antiquaries Journal, Vol XXXIX (July-Oct 1959 Nos 3
and 4) report by Jope and Threlfall.
Listing NGR: SP3021719020
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.