Description: Church of St Nicholas and St Swithin
Date Listed: 12 September 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 252290
OS Grid Reference: SP3587604709
OS Grid Coordinates: 435876, 204709
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7399, -1.4818
HARDWICK WITH YELFORD YELFORD
10/206 Church of St. Nicholas and St.
Church. c.1500. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings;
roughcast nave walls; stone-coped gabled stone slate roof. Chancel and nave with
porch. Label mould over late C15 two-light hollow-chamfered round-headed east
window; two similar windows to south and a similar one-light window to north.
Nave has 2 tiny rood lights in east gable; similar one-light window to north and
2-light window to south. Gabled south porch: moulded bargeboard; east wall has
reset C11/early C12 carving with beaded arcs; label mould over hollow-chamfered
round-arched doorway; C15 studded door with fittings set in 4-centred moulded
doorway. West end has similar late C15 two-light window and two paired C13
lancets; late C19 bellcote. Interior: 2 pedestals for statues and square recess
with piscina; late C15 chancel screen with traceried heads to open panels; late
C15 octagonal font with blank shields and early C18 cover. Late C15 three-bay
tie-beam roof to nave has moulded and quartered beams and hollow-chamfered
joists; similar beams to porch roof. A small parish church adjoining a moat and
set in the grounds of Yelford Manor (q.v.).
(National Monuments Record; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.869).
Listing NGR: SP3587604709
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.