If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 27 August 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 252451
OS Grid Reference: SP3282220102
OS Grid Coordinates: 432822, 220102
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8785, -1.5246
Explore more of the area around Chilson, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.
2/11 Church of All Saints
Church. C12, with C13 or C14 alterations, partly rebuilt in the late C14 or C15,
chancel rebuilt in the mid-C18, and south porch and belfry added in the late
C19. Church restored in 1902-3 at the expense of Mr. V.J. Watney. Coursed
limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; ashlar chancel and porch. Roofs not
visible behind parapets; stone slates to porch. Two-bay nave with south porch,
and one-bay chancel. Nave: moulded cornice and ashlar parapet with chamfered
coping. C19 gabled west bellcote with truncated finial and 3 arched openings.
South front: 2 late C14 or C15 square-headed windows of 2 ogee cinquefoil-headed
lights with quatrefoils in spandrels, moulded reveals, and returned hoodmoulds.
Central C15 boarded door with strap hinges and wave-moulded archway with
returned hoodmould. Porch has coped parapeted gable with cross at apex,
chamfered trefoiled archway and boarded door with strap hinges; interior with
side bench to right. Lean-to stone shed to right of porch with boarded door.
West end: square-headed C15 window of 2 depressed-arched lights with returned
hood mould and wrought-iron bars. C12 chamfered round-arched blocked doorway to
left, with impost moulding and returned hood mould. North side: central low
buttress with offset. C12 small chamfered round-arched window to right with hood
mould and probably C17 two-light chamfered mullioned stone window to left with
rectangular-leaded lights. C20 lean-to boilerhouse to left with stone slate roof
and truncated stone stack against wall of nave. Chancel: raised eaves band and
low parapet with chamfered coping. Round-arched east window with plain
architrave, raised cill, impost blocks, keystone and rectangular-leaded glazing
with radial head and central cast-iron casement. Reused C14 low-side window to
south with 2 ogee trefoil-headed lights under square-head, C18 flush stone
surround and plain leaded glazing. Interior: C18 three-bay nave roof with
king-post trusses, c.1902-3 moulded brackets with carved rosettes, reused
medieval carved stone head corbels, and single purlins. South windows with
hollow-chamfered jambs, the left-hand window with recess below.
Cinquefoil-headed piscina with shelf and scalloped bowl. C12 north window with
deeply-splayed jambs. Blocked segmental-arched north doorway. C13 or C14
double-chamfered chancel arch. Squint to right with Tudor-arched head and
chamfered left-hand reveal with broach stop. Two-bay chancel roof consisting of
king-post truss with chamfered tie-beam and ridge piece, the rest ceiled.
Fittings: C18 or restored (c.1902-3) communion table with bulbous legs.
Communion rails of c,1902-3. Marble floor to sanctuary. Plain benches. c18 box
pews with H-hinges, pew to pulpit with raised and fielded panels. C18 two-decker
pulpit with moulded top rail and winder stairs. Wig peg on side of chancel arch
behind. C12 plain circular stone font, lead lined. Old coat pegs on north wall
in front of blocked doorway. Fragments of medieval wall paintings, including the
early C14 St. Leonard and St. Frideswide on the north wall, the C15 Miracle of
the Clay Birds on the south reveal of the squint, remains of the C15 Last
Judgement over the chancel arch, and the C15 legend of St. Eloi and the horse, a
rare depiction of St. Zita, St. George and the Dragon, and St. Eligius, all on
the south wall of the nave. Other faded fragments, including remains of colour
on the chancel arch. Late C17 or early C18 painted texts on the west wall with
scrolled surrounds, one illegible and the other with the inscription "Now my
God/let (I beseech thee)/thine eyes be open/and let thine ears be/..... unto the
prayer/that is made in this/place/II Chrons Chap/VI v.10", Some probably late
C17 or early C18 painted gadrooning above south doorway. Tablet to right of
door, inscribed: "THIS CHURCH - OF ALL SAINTS/SHORTHAMPTON - WAS RESTORED IN
1903 (THE REMAINS OF ITS/OLDER MURAL PAINTINGS, WHICH/HAD BEEN HIDDEN FOR SOME
350/YEARS BEING THEN UNCOVERED),/AND WAS REOPENED FOR THE/SERVICE OF GOD ON
NOVEMBER 1ST,/ALL SAINTS DAY". The 1902-3 restoration was carried out at the
expense of Mr. V.J. Watney of Cornbury Park (q.v.).
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p763; Kelly's Directory of Oxfordshire
Listing NGR: SP3282220102
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.