British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter and St Paul, Hanborough

Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Grade: I
Date Listed: 12 September 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 252772

OS Grid Reference: SP4258212837
OS Grid Coordinates: 442582, 212837
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8126, -1.3837

Location: Church Road, Hanborough, Oxfordshire OX8 8AB

Locality: Hanborough
Local Authority: West Oxfordshire District Council
County: Oxfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: OX8 8AB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Hanborough, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

24/118 Church of St. Peter and
12/09/55 St. Paul
Church. Early C12 with mid C13 alterations; remodelled c1400, when tower and
clerestorey were added. Coursed limestone rubble; shallow-pitched lead roofs.
Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Label mould with head corbels of King and
Queen over late C19 three-light window; roll-moulded string course beneath sills
of this east window and 2 early C13 pointed lancets to south; C12 chamfered and
round-arched doorway to ancient (probably C15) studded door. North chapel,
continued as north aisle, has one-light window and label mould over C14
two-light trefoil-headed window to east, mid C13 pointed lancet, and label mould
with head stops over c1400 three-light trefoil-headed window; north aisle to
nave has early C13 pointed lancet, mid C13 two-light geometrical window, a small
late C12 round-arched lancet and a c1400 two-light window with panel tracery.
Early C13 north porch has archway of 3 orders, with hollow-chamfered arch set on
triple jamb shafts; C17 studded double doors, with strap hinges. Fine early C12
north doorway with zigzag-carved hood over roll-moulded arch set on jamb shafts
with scalloped capitals; very fine tympanum carving of St. Peter, the Agnus Dei
and Lion of St. Mark; C17 studded door with strap hinges and fittings. Norman
lancet at west end of aisle. South aisle: Norman lancet at east end, label
moulds over two c1400 three-light ogee-headed windows; a late C19 two-light
window and hood mould over c1400 two-light window with panel tracery. C17 south
porch has timber lintel over plank studded door with label moulds set in
ovolo-moulded wood architrave; C12 round-arched doorway. c1400 three-stage west
tower: large offset buttresses; hood mould over 3-light window with panel
tracery above label mould over 2-centred doorway set in casement-moulded
architrave; 2-light belfry windows; moulded string course with corner gargoyles
beneath parapet with carved quatrefoils; ribbed ashlar spire. C15 clerestory
with Perpendicular windows. Interior: C15 piscina in vestry, mid C13 string
course carried around chancel; C15 trefoiled piscina and segmental arch over C15
studded door to south; C12 round-arched aumbry, square aumbry and pointed
chamfered arch over fine C15 studded door with iron hinges and fittings to
north; late C17 communion rail with turned balusters; bases of two mid C13 jamb
shafts flank east window; C15 three-bay chancel roof. C15 double-chamfered
archway to north chapel and mid C13 hollow-chamfered archway to south chapel
which has ogee-headed piscina and stone steps with ancient plank door to former
rood loft; mid C13 chancel arch set on shafts with moulded capitals. Nave has
C15 three-bay arcades with concave-moulded capitals and octagonal piers; 3-bay
C15 roof with moulded tie beams arch-braced to C15 head corbels; restored C15
polygonal pulpit set on narrow stem and with some C15 panel tracery. Very fine
late C15 rood screens, to chancel and aisles, with much late C15 gold, red and
black painted decoration; traceried heads to open panels, blind tracery and
coving of rood lofts in aisles with vine-leaf trail to frieze on south side.
North aisle has stoup with billeted sill and south aisle has plain aumbry; C17
lean-to roofs in aisles. Late C17 decoratively-carved parish chest at west end
of nave. Wall painting: 2 trefoil-headed recesses in north aisle have fine C15
paintings of white roses on a red background. Monuments: Arched recess in north
wall of chancel has brass to Dr. Alexander Belsyre (d.1567) depicting corpse in
shroud. Chancel also has small floor brasses to Joanna Mericke (d.1617) and
Walter Culpepper, (d.1616); Marble wall monument, surmounted by urn, to Thomas
Smith (d.1729) and family; Baroque cartouches to William Denison (d.1756) and
Anna Maria Denison (d.1751), the latter with unusual rococco shape to tablet;
north wall has broken-pedimented wall tablet to Jane Culpepper, (d.1636), and
wall monument with Ionic pilasters and heraldic shields erected 1632 to memory
of Margaret Clarke, (d.1592). Various late C17 and C18 ledger stones. Late C15
brass to Jane Ford and 2 husbands at east end of nave. White marble wall tablet
with urn erected 1780 by William Bouchier in memory of his wife and parents, at
east end of north aisle; two C18 lead tablets at west end of nave. Stained
glass: 2 late C15 tracery lights with Tudor roses set in foliate background, at
in south-east window of south aisle. Subsidiary features: tapered C14 grave slab
attached to south side of chancel.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p543-4; National Monuments Record; Bodleian
Library, Topographical Drawings, for C19 drawings by R.C. Buckler and others)

Listing NGR: SP4258312839

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.