British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, North Leigh

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 12 September 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 252819

OS Grid Reference: SP3873313657
OS Grid Coordinates: 438733, 213657
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8202, -1.4394

Location: Church Road, North Leigh, Oxfordshire OX29 6TX

Locality: North Leigh
Local Authority: West Oxfordshire District Council
County: Oxfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: OX29 6TX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around North Leigh, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP3813 (West side)
21/163 Church of St. Mary
Church. Late Saxon church of c.1000-1050 with central tower; chancel converted
into aisled nave and former nave demolished c.1200; early C14 alterations and
extension to west of nave aisles; Wilcote Chapel, at east end of north aisle,
built c.1439 for Elizabeth Wilcote and possibly by Richard Winchcombe; Perrott
Aisle added to north of north aisle by Christopher Kempster for James Perrott,
d.1724; restored 1864 by G. E. Street. Coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble
with ashlar quoins and dressings; gabled stone slate chancel roof; other roofs
of lead. Chancel and aisled nave with west tower. Late C13 three-light
trefoil-headed east window. Mid C19 two-light Decorated-style window to each
side; south organ chamber added 1954. South side of nave has two C15 two-light
square-headed windows, and gabled porch by Street; mid C12 south doorway has
billetted roll-moulded arch set on shafts with scalloped capitals and C14 inner
archway. Wilcote Chapel, with gabled stone slate roof and offset buttresses, has
three fine Perpendicular windows with panel tracery. Perrott Aisle, of 2 bays,
has 4 semi-circular arched windows with eared architraves set under straight
hoods with scroll brackets; to west is round window with cherub's head as key
above keyed semi-circular arched doorway with Doric pilasters and cornice, and
plank door with decorative strap hinges; all windows have latticed leaded
lights. West bay of north aisle has C15 two-light square-headed window above
blocked early C14 pointed chamfered doorway. 3-stage west tower has early C14
two-light west window and blocked openings in gabled outline of former late
Saxon nave; early C11 lancet to south; early C11 two-light stone-louvred belfry
windows with imposts; C14 crenellated parapet with gargoyles. Interior: early
C14 cinquefoiled piscina with credence table; hood mould over late C13 trefoiled
tomb recess to north; chancel also has 2 late C13 responds with moulded capitals
of former chancel arch. Chancel screen, in Decorated style with stone open
tracery, by G.E. Street: adjoining pulpit also by Street. c.1200 two-bay nave
arcades, have chamfered arches set on round piers with scalloped capital to
north and waterleaf capital to south. Late C13 tower arch of 2 orders with
stiff-leaf to hood mould stops and capital of south responds: chamfered tower
arches to north and south, and voussoirs of late Saxon blocked order to south.
C15 two-bay tie-beam roof in nave with moulded beams. Wilcote Chapel and
monuments: probably by Richard Winchcombe (Harvey), for Elizabeth Wilcote,
d.1442; has very fine 2-bay fan vaulting; cinquefoiled piscina. Crocketed ogee
arch, with angels bearing shield on flanking pinnacles, frames tomb of Elizabeth
Wilcote and her husband Sir William Wilcote, d.1410: superb alabaster effigies,
with much carved detail, lie on alaster tomb chest with canopied panels.
Monument to William Lenthall, d.1576, and wife shows them at prayer with
mutilated group of children below and flanked by obelisks with grape pendants.
C17 and C18 floor tablets. Perrott Aisle and monuments to north: by Christopher
Kempster for James Perrott, d.1724: 2-bay Tuscan arcade with acanthus leaf
spandrels and heraldic crest; early C18 screen reset on C19 bench ends;
rerearches have carved heads and acanthus leaf carving; C18 brass plaques with
fine lettering, probably former coffin plates; fine memorial to Henry Perrott,
d,1740, by Ricketts of Gloucester, has 2 cherubs reclining on sarcophagus with
grey marble pyramid; wall tablet with urn to James Musgrave, d.1814; memorial to
James Musgrave, d.1778, has draped urn with grey marble pyramid set on
sarcophagus; fine architectural monument to James Perrott, d.1724, has
extravagently-carved Baroque frame surmounted by flaming urn. Other monuments:
wall-monument of stone and alabaster to Robert Perrott, d.1605, and wife is
similar monument, also with complete row of children, to Lenthall Monument in
Wilcote Chapel (q.v.). Brass of Knight in chancel floor depicts Thomas
Beckingham, d.1431. South aisle has fine architectural monument to John Andrew,
d.1754, with cherubs heads set in tympanum; early C18 Perrott monument to east,
set in architectural frame with ball finials flanking urn. Wall painting: fine
C15 Last judgement scene on east wall of nave. Perrott Arms on west wall of
chancel: early C18, with Baroque swags, etc. Stained glass: late C19 east
window, very fine C15 glass set in heads of Wilcote Chapel windows; tops of
canopies set in heads of main lights; lower range of tracery lights has vine
foliage designs alternating with letters of the alphabet; inserted fragments to
east; lions' faces set in vine foliage above; heraldic badges depicting stags
and eagles in main lights of north-east window. Kempster worked for Wren on St.
Paul's Cathedral, Abingdon Town Hall and other buildings.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp719-721; National Monuments Record;
Bodleian Library, Topographical Drawings, for late C18 and C19 drawings; H.M.
Colwin, A. Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1660-1840, 1978, p486)

Listing NGR: SP3873613654

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.