British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Kenelm, Enstone

Description: Church of St Kenelm

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 30 August 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 253223

OS Grid Reference: SP3797025119
OS Grid Coordinates: 437970, 225119
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9233, -1.4493

Location: B4030, Enstone, Oxfordshire OX7 4NN

Locality: Enstone
Local Authority: West Oxfordshire District Council
County: Oxfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: OX7 4NN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Enstone, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP3625-3725 (North side)
Church Enstone
14/42 Church of St. Kenelm


Church. Late C12, late C13 and C15; tower and alterations early/mid C16;
restored 1856 by G.E. Street. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and
limestone ashlar; copper and lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles
(overlapping the chancel), south-west porch and west tower. Chancel is probably
C13 but has a C19 triple-lancet east window, and 2- and 3-light C16 side windows
with uncusped arched lights; the small arched doorway to north probably served a
vanished sacristy. Broad south aisle has two C15/early C16 windows to east and 4
windows to south, 3 with elaborate Perpendicular drop tracery, 4-centred arches
and deep casement mouldings; the aisle has numerous buttresses and incorporates
earlier work, including the 2-storey porch at its west end, with a C13/C14
entrance arch of 2 chamfered orders and a small 2-light C15 first-floor window.
Late-C12 south doorway has an elaborate arch of 3 orders, decorated with roll,
spool and chevron ornament, and has small attached jamb shafts; octopartite
porch vault has head corbels and a small central boss of 8 heads. A narrower
section of the aisle, projecting to west of the porch, has a square-headed
3-light window with ogee tracery, and a single-light C16 window facing west.
Narrow north aisle has a simple round-headed late-C12 doorway, and a C13 lancet
west window which may have been reused when the tower was built; a 3-light C15
window and a 2-light C16 window both have square heads. Wider section of aisle
adjoining chancel has further square-headed windows. Chancel and aisles have
plain parapets. Nave clerestory has plain 2-light windows. 3-stage ashlar tower,
with high moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, and crenellated parapet with
corner pinnacles, has a 3-light west window, with uncusped tracery, above a
moulded 4-centre-arched doorway; 2-light bell-chamber openings with cusped
lights may be earlier work re-used. Interior: chancel has, to north, a simple
C13 arch and a C14/C15 doorway with continuous mouldings; to south is a wide
splayed 4-centred arch with panelled soffit formerly serving a narrow chantry
chapel, Chancel arch of 2 continuous chamfered orders in probably C13/C14 and to
south of it is a small C12 capital. Easternmost bays of nave arcades have wide
4-centred arches, possibly replacing a former central tower. Remaining 4 bays of
south arcade have late-C12 pointed arches with angle rolls, circular columns
with square knob-volute and waterleaf capitals, and square bases with corner
spurs; corresponding bays of late-C13 north arcade have alternating circular and
fluted octagonal columns, with moulded capitals and bases, supporting arches of
2 hollow-chamfered orders. Tall early-C16 tower arch has splayed jambs and an
arch of 2 chamfered orders. 2 adjoining C15 windows of south aisle are divided
by a tall shaft and served a chapel of which the small piscina survives. A
further chapel at the east end of the aisle retains 2 C15 brackets supported by
carved heads (possibly re-set) and a small early piscina. The narrow chantry
between it and the chancel has similar brackets supporting the springing of a
former vaulted roof, and has a panelled reredos below the 3-light window, which
also includes canopied image niches in the wide casement moulding. Roofs of
nave, north aisle and chancel are plain and may be partly C17/C18. Moulded south
aisle roof, with arched braces rising from tie beams to ridge, is C19. Stained
glass includes 3 panels which may be C17/C18, three C19 windows and an early-C20
window, possibly by Morris and Co. Monuments include a medieval stone coffin;
the memorial to Stevens Wisdom (d.1633) with a kneeling figure within an arched
recess flanked by Ionic columns on an inscribed panelled base; a wall monument
to Benjamin Marten (d.1716) of Baroque drapery and cherubs in white marble; and
a series of black marble ledgers to members of the Cole and Walker families.
Fittings are C19 except for the C15 panelled octagonal font, and an ancient
chest with ornamental ironwork which may be C13/C14.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp593-4)

Listing NGR: SP3797025119

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.