British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Bampton

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 12 September 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 253366

OS Grid Reference: SP3126203325
OS Grid Coordinates: 431262, 203325
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7278, -1.5488

Location: Church View, Bampton, Oxfordshire OX18 2LZ

Locality: Bampton
Local Authority: West Oxfordshire District Council
County: Oxfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: OX18 2LZ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Bampton, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(South-west side)
13/56 Church of St. Mary

Church. C10/C11 origins visible in herringbone stonework in tower and stair
turret; rebuilt C12 on cruciform plan, with C12 features surviving in tower and
transepts; remodelled, with aisles, late C13-early C14; transepts raised and
aisles re-roofed C15; Horde chapel remodelled 1702; extensively restored 1868-70
by Ewan Christian, as dated on rainwater heads. Limestone rubble, with stone
slate roofs to nave and chancel, and lead roofs to remainder. Cruciform plan
with central tower and transept chapels. C15 moulded parapets with carved
gargoyles, except to nave and chancel. West end of nave has much restored
5-light window with intersecting tracery, originally early C14, and fine C14
moulded doorway with ballflower and fleuron ornament. Shallow gabled west porch
of same date, with wide chamfered arch and gabled side niches. 4-bay aisles are
late C13 and have windows with trefoil-headed lights arranged in 3's with taller
central lights. External window surrounds are unmoulded but rere-arches are
cusped. North and south doorways are also trefoil-headed. North aisle has later
buttresses, and gabled stair turret rises from east end. South aisle has C15
battlemented porch with diagonal buttresses and Tudor hoodmould over 4-centred
arch. Inside porch are stone side shelves, shallow cusped niche, late C17
memorial tablet, and moulded roof beams. South chapel, to west of transept, has
cusped niche over late C13 south window, and C15 and C16 2-light west windows.
Transepts have 2 bays of late C15 clerestory windows with 3 cusped lights and
Tudor hoodmoulds. 4-light south window is also late C15 with Perpendicular
tracery. Below is fine C12 doorway with chevron-moulded semi-circular arch of 2
orders, on shafts with carved caps. North transept has late C13 north doorway
with trefoil head, contemporary 3-light west window, and C19 3-light traceried
north window. Later C14 chapel to east of north transept has 3-light window
inserted 1908. Central tower has tall bell-chamber with pairs of arched
transomed lights and narrow arcaded frieze. Octagonal spire with large 2-light
gabled lucarnes at base, and flying buttresses. Each buttress consists of a
quatrefoil cluster of shafts with a statue on top, much restored. Chancel has
C19 carved head corbel table, restored 5-light east window with intersecting
tracery, and C19 3-light traceried south window. Lean-to vestry along north
side. In angle with south transept is Horde chapel, dated 1702 on inscription
frieze, with south window of six arched lights, blocked 2-light east window, and
lean-to porch. Interior: is much restored and stripped of plaster.
Double-chamfered nave arcades on cylindrical piers with moulded caps and bases
and square plinths. Arcades terminate on piers with slender corbel shafts and
restored carved heads. Nave roof is C19, as is that of chancel. Aisles,
transepts and south chapel retain C15 roofs with moulded beams on restored
carved stone corbels. South chapel has double-chamfered arch to transept, and 2
piscinae, that near pulpit with restored trefoil head and carved corbel. Stair
turret at east end of north aisle has small internal windows, aisle piscina, and
heavily reworked east doorway with semi-circular tympanum. Central tower is
Transitional and has ashlar piers and pointed unmoulded arches of 2 orders,
those to nave and chancel with nailhead or billet ornament. Within arch to
chancel is retained Cll-C12 semi-circular arch with dogtooth voussoirs. Over
north arch is C12 window of 2 arched lights with octagonal mullion shaft. West
walls of transepts also retain C12 arched lights with deep splays, only the head
surviving in north transept. South transept has C12 arch in east wall, now
blocked, with old door in moulded 4-centred arch to Horde chapel. North transept
has wide C14 moulded arch to east chapel. This has tall gabled niche, possibly
Easter sepulchre, with elaborate cusping, crockets, and finials on carved stone
heads. Aumbry and moulded piscina in south wall. Chancel has semi-circular
headed doorway in north wall, and much restored C15 Easter sepulchre with 2
tiers of cusped arches and blind tracery. In south wall is fine late C13 triple
sedilia with trefoil arches, shafts and carved spandrels. Moulded trefoil-headed
piscina. Inset below east window is early C14 carved stone reredos with figures
of Christ and 12 Apostles in crocketed niches. Recess with 2 arched openings
below. Fittings are mostly C19 but do include a C14 font base with
trefoil-headed arcade, a strapped medieval chest, and some reused C15/C16 panels
in choir stalls. Monuments: in south transept: 1) very worn medieval effigy of
lady, in carved stone; 2) wall monument to George Tompson 1603, with carved
stone effigy lying in tabernacle with Corinthian columns, carved frieze and
strapwork base and pediment; 3) stone coffin with cross on lid. In north chapel:
carved stone effigy of a knight, said to be Sir Gilbert Talbot, d.1419. In Horde
chapel: 4 wall tablets with oval or round inscription panels of grey stone in
carved white stone surrounds with putti, mask-heads and sculls, to Thomas and
Elizabeth Cooke 1669 and 1668, Stephen Philips, 1684, Barbara Trinder, 1671, and
children of John and Anne Gower, 1679. In chancel: 3 brasses, to Thomas
Plymmyswode, c.1429, Robert Holcot, 1500, and Frances Gardner, 1633.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974: pp429-431)

Listing NGR: SP3126403324

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.