If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 27 August 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 254034
OS Grid Reference: SP2582623725
OS Grid Coordinates: 425826, 223725
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9115, -1.6259
Explore more of the area around Kingham, Oxfordshire at Explore Britain.
KINGHAM CHURCH STREET
SP2423-2523 (West side)
17/139 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. Mid-C14 and C15; chancel rebuilt 1688, south aisle added and
whole extensively restored 1852-3. Regularly coursed and dressed ironstone with
limestone ashlar dressings; roughly coursed limestone to tower; stone slate and
slate roofs with stepped coped verges and embattled parapets. Nave; chancel;
west tower; aisles and south porch. Tower. Mid-C14 with C15 embattled parapet.
In 3 stages with chamfered plinth and stepped diagonal buttresses to bottom
stage; moulded string courses and crocketed corner pinnacles. Projecting
rectangular stair turret to south-east corner. Belfry has stone-slate-louvred
2-light trefoil-headed windows with 4-centred arches and hoodmoulds, that to
east infilled and with clock inserted. South side has sharply pointed doorway to
west face of stair turret which has rectangular slit openings. West side has
double-chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with 6-panel double doors and 3-light
window with reticulated tracery above; narrow rectangular chamfered window to
third stage. Mid-C14 north aisle buttressed in 4 bays has 2-light windows with
reticulated tracery to north wall and similar 3-light windows to east and west
walls; date "1769" carved on stone to east of second window from west. Nave:
south parapet has weathered carved head (medieval) to centre and apex to east
has C19 octagonal stone stack. South aisle (1852-3) has two 2-light windows with
reticulated tracery, hoodmoulds and head-stops to west of porch and 3 to east;
carved heads to moulded cornice below parapet. 3-light windows with reticulated
tracery to east and west walls. Contemporary gabled porch has double-chamfered
pointed outer doorway with hoodmould and single trefoil-headed windows to side
walls. Chancel: south side largely rebuilt in C19 has two 2-light windows like
those in south aisle with scrolled and lozenge-shaped label-stops. East window
(1843) with hoodmould and reticulated tracery in 3 lights has jambs of earlier
large infilled window visible to either side. C19 cross to gable. Roughcast
north side has 2-light windows like those on south to left and right of
segmental-pointed doorway with mid-C19 Gothic traceried door; head of infilled
C17 doorway with wedged voussoirs and projecting keystone to right. C14
cinquefoil-headed gabled tomb canopy to east of C19 doorway houses stone slab
with carved foliated cross (largely worn away at time of resurvey (July 1987)).
Interior. C19 double-chamfered pointed south doorway with hoodmould. C14 north
nave arcade in 4 bays has octagonal piers with pointed double-chamfered arches,
moulded capitals and chamfered plinths; C19 copy of sane to south. To east of
east arch on north side is chamfered Tudor-arched doorway to fonder rood loft.
Trefoil-headed window below with groove for farmer glazing and square recess
directly below that. Apparently C19 pointed double-chamfered chancel arch has
semi-circular responds with moulded plinths and nail-head ornament to capitals;
outline of former steep-pitched nave roof visible above. Pointed tower arch has
2 orders of concave mouldings. C19 trefoil-headed arch pierced in wall to east
of east arch of south arcade and two C19 trefoil-headed sedilia and piscina with
credence shelf in south wall of chancel. Pointed C14 Easter Sepulchre opposite
and infilled rectangular recess in south wall Nave has low-pitched tie beam
roof in 7 bays with short braced wall-posts on head corbels (eaves line of
former roof visible below) and gilded bosses at intersection of panels. Painted
inscription on north wall records its construction: "THE NEW ROOF/GEORGE WILLIAM
BR00KS/Church-Wardens/1774". Contemporary lean-to aisle roofs with painted
bosses; common rafters of north roof plastered over. C19 arch-braced roof in 4
bays to chancel has billet moulding to wall-plate and stone corbels carved as
angels. Seating of 1852-3; bench ends of pale composition stone have blind
tracery patterns and poppy heads,those to front of 2 areas of seating in nave
and choir stalls entirely constructed of stone with blind tracery patterns.
Contemporary square stone pulpit also has blind tracery patterns plus pierced
quatrefoils to top. C13 circular font with moulded plinth. Stone-flag floor to
nave and aisles and C19 encaustic tiles to chancel, including to raised
sanctuary, which has mid-C19 stone reredos above contemporary wooden altar table
with painted panels of saints and angels in circular and pointed recesses.
Elaborate C19 Gothic-style brass chandelier hanging from roof and brass altar
rails of 1885. Stained glass throughout mainly of 1852-3 but vivid east window
is 1843. Monuments. North wall of chancel: brass plate to Katherine James
(d.1588) in Easter Sepulchre; kneeling figure with her 3 children. To west of
doorway is memorial to Lt. Col. Henry Samuel Davies (d.1851) by R. Physick of
London: mourning soldier leaning on sarcophagus. Collection of C18 wall
memorials and cartouches including one with scrolls and cherubs to Reverend
William Dowdeswell (d.1711) and one C18 hatchment in tower.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp673-4)
Listing NGR: SP2582623725
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.