Description: Church of St Milburga
Date Listed: 26 September 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 255166
OS Grid Reference: SJ7651101558
OS Grid Coordinates: 376511, 301558
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6113, -2.3483
SJ 70 SE BECKBURY C.P. HIGH STREET (South side)
5/50 Church of St. Milburga.
Parish Church. C13 origins, remodelled CI8, restored and altered C19.
Red sandstone ashlar walls and red brick patching at East end of nave,
plain tiled roofs. West tower, c 1730; 2 stages on plinth, plain string
course, rusticated quoins, moulded cornice and pyramidal roof with
weather vane; West doorway has a Gibbs surround, 2 round windows on North
and West faces of belfry, now filled by clocks (J. Smith of Shifnal,
1856), above on West a round headed window and in the East wall a semi-
circular opening. Nave, also c 1730, rusticated quoins at South West
and South East angles, moulded eaves cornice, pierced by C19 clerestorey
on North side. South aisle 1856, five 2 light decorated style windows,
buttresses; North aisle and Transept 1880, 2 light windows and plain
pointed door; North porch timber with bargeboards on sandstone walls
1888. Chancel, early Cl4, restored 1856 and 1884; East window c 1300,
3 lights with intersecting cusped tracery, two 2-light early C14 windows
and at West end cusped lancets above blocked low-side windows, that on
South retaining original iron framework, diagonal buttresses to East
wall, a memorial stone to Eleanor Watts (died 1816) is fixed to the
South wall, blocked arched opening of uncertain purpose on North,
recently restored, is most probably a mediaeval tomb recess. Interior;
Much C19 restoration, nave arcades of 3 bays and tower arch re-built 1888,
roof with massive tie beam aim restored; chancel arch and low stone
screen erected 1884 when East end was raised, arch braced roof to chancel
probably C19, early Cl4 piscina in South wall, stained glass in East
window 1885. Stone pulpit with naturalistic foliage carving (designer
unknown) 1867, Perpendicular font with cusped quatrefoils and shields
in the panels considerably restored 1892; East window in South wall of
South aisle contains fragments of C14 stained glass re-assembled by the
Vicar in 1893, parish cheat with fine ornamental iron work (? mediaeval).
Incised alabaster slab (probably from an altar tomb) to Richard Haughton,
died 1505, and his wife, Margaret, on the North wall of the chancel, was
moved here during the 1856 restoration. In the Middle Ages, Beckbury
was a dependent chapelry of the parish of Holy Trinity, Much Wenlock.
Cranage Vol. III, pp,184-5.
Listing NGR: SJ7651101558
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.