Description: Former Stable Block Adjoining Lilleshall Hall Gatehouse to North
Date Listed: 29 August 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 255178
OS Grid Reference: SJ7491414552
OS Grid Coordinates: 374914, 314552
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7280, -2.3729
SJ 71 SW SHERRIFHALES C.P. -
3/1 Former Stable Block
- adjoining Lilleshall
Hall Gatehouse to North.
Stable block, now gymnasium inter alia. Circa 1829-32 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville
in a Tudor Gothic style with circa 1920 alterations. Sandstone ashlar with
slate roofs. Irregular pentagonal plan with ringed to North, East and West
around central courtyard with entrance to South. Plinth, buttresses, coped
parapeted gable ends with obelisk finials, 1½ stories. Stone mullioned
and transomed windows with returned hoodmoulds. South front: 2 angled gabled
wings with attic lancets, ground floor cross windows, and screen wall between
approximately 2 metres high with chamfered coping and 2 square gatepiers.
North fronts irregular 7 window front. Central projecting gabled entrance
with narrow window in apex, first floor 4 light mullioned window with blank
stone panel beneath, and two 4 centred archways with 2 pairs of boarded door.
2 bays to left and right with gabled eaves dormers and ground floor cross
windows, those to right with later 4 panelled door between. 2 outer projecting
gabled wings, that to right with first floor lancet, and ground floor 6 light
window; that to left with 3 light mullioned windows on each floor, 4 centred
boarded door to right, and right hand return front with ground floor boarded
door and gabled semi-dormer with boarded loft door. Walled entrance court
to North approximately 2.5 metres high with chamfered coping and 2 square
gatepiers to East with globe finials. Ballroom built in stable yard circa
1920, now used as gymnasium and entered from South (not included). B.O.E.,
Listing NGR: SJ7491414552
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.