Description: Remains of Tong Castle at Ngr Sj 7916 0693
Date Listed: 29 August 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 255317
OS Grid Reference: SJ7916006930
OS Grid Coordinates: 379160, 306930
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6597, -2.3095
SJ 70 NE TONG C.P. NEWPORT ROAD
6/41 Remains of Tong Castle at
- NGR SJ 7916 0693.
Castle, remains of. C12 to the C16. Fragmentary remains of sandstone
walls on natural rock. The site is now divided into two,and largely
obscured by,the M54 Motorway (qv. Remains of Tong Castle at NGR SJ 7916
0696). George Durant the elder (d. 1780) demolished most of Sir Harry
Vernon's circa 1500 castle in 1764 and replaced it with 'Capability'
Brown's Gothick Castle in 1765, which was, in turn, demolished in 1954.
Under excavation at time of re-survey by the Shropshire Archaeological
Society with report to follow (qv. Convent Lodge, wall with pulpit
approximately 10 metres to East of Convent Lodge, The Old Post Office,
former North gates and flanking walls). N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire,
p.304; G. Griffith, History of Tong and Boscobel, 1894, pp. 89 - 92 and
pp. 154-61; D. H. Robinson, The Wandering Worfe, Waine Research
Publications, 1980, pp. 56-9.
Listing NGR: SJ7916006930
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.