If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Martin
Date Listed: 8 October 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 255719
OS Grid Reference: SJ3225436305
OS Grid Coordinates: 332254, 336305
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9199, -3.0090
ST. MARTIN'S C.P. CHURCH LANE (north side)
SJ 33 NW
2/7 Church of St Martin
Parish church. C13, late C14/early C15 north aisle; west tower of c.1632;
vestry dated 1810. Restoration of 1841 and east wall of chancel rebuilt
1862. Uncoursed conglomerate and sandstone rubble with sandstone ashlar
dressings and tower; rock-faced snecked sandstone ashlar to east wall of
chancel; slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one; west tower; north aisle;
south porch and north-east vestry. Tower: in 3 stages with multi-stepped
diagonal buttresses, moulded cornice and C19 embattled parapet. Integral
stair turret at north-west angle lit by narrow rectangular slits. Cornice
has carved heads on north, east and west and gargoyle surviving to south-
east corner. West face has 3-light Perpendicular window with panel tracery,
possibly reused from an earlier tower, to first stage. 4-centred doorway
below has hoodmould and label stops of 1841; C17 nail-studded heavy boarded
door with elaborately decorated strap hinges. Inscription above in moulded
surround: "Templum quod conspicis Deo Sacrum/Sumplu Suo Instauratum atque
Ornatum/Haeredum Curae commendat/ARTURUS VICE COMES DUNGANNON/A.S. MDCCCXLI."
Clock to second stage also dated 1841. Windows to belfry have simple Y-
tracery and plain hoodmoulds; narrow round-headed windows to second stage
on north and south. Nave and Chancel: have 2 large, probably C18, ramped
buttresses on south side. Square-headed window with 2 cusped lights to far
left probably contemporary with tower; square-headed C15 window immediately
to east of left buttress has 3 cusped lights and window to right with Y-
tracery is probably of c.1632. Late C13 pointed doorway immediately to left
of right buttress has been infilled to bottom half and has two C17 mullions
inserted to top forming 3-light window; late c19 gabled half-dormer immed-
iately to left has small 2-light Decorated style window with hoodmould.
Early C19 porch immediately to right if west window has red brick side
walls (Flemish stretcher bond) and stone gable with round-headed arch; C14
south doorway behind has double-chamfered 4-centred arch. 2 late C15/
early C16 square-headed windows to chancel, one of 3 cusped lights to left
and of 4 cusped lights to right. East wall entirely rebuilt in 1862 has
3-light window with geometrical tracery. Hip-roofed vestry in angle with
north aisle has cambered doorway on east side with inscription above in
moulded surround: "This Vestry was erected/and the Church Repewed/A.D.
1810/WILLIAM CLEAVER D.D. Bishop of St. Asaph/JOHN WILLIAM BOURKE M.A.
Vicar." Mid-C19 two-light window with quatrefoil above to left. North
aisle; built in 2 stages, earliest part to east of straight joint (immediately
to left of third window from east) with original eaves line and angle quoins
visible. Square-headed window to east of 3 cusped lights with plain
spandrels probably C17 but renewed C19; C15 square-headed window to left
of centre with single cusped light; window of 4 lights to right of centre
and one of 2 lights to right both similar in style and date to east window.
Low infilled doorway with depressed arch to far right. West wall rebuilt
in 1869 has 2-light Decorated-style window. Interior: pointed double-
chamfered tower arch. Arcade of 5 bays has 4-centred arches on short
octagonal piers with moulded capitals and plinths (latter now mostly below
floor level): 2 eastern bays (now infilled) are slightly earlier than re-
mainder and have slightly shorter piers. Late C15 arch-braced collar beam
roof in 9 bays to nave and chancel with double-purlins, cusped windbraces
and cusped struts from collars to principal rafters; 2 eastern bays have
ceilure with elaborately carved cornice and 3 bands of foliage decoration,
the one at the apex also being carved with dragons; carved bosses probably
c.1841. Similar but more irregular collar beam roof in 8 bays to north
aisle with corbels for original roof above eastern arches of arcade. Eaves
line of pre-late C15 roof also visible in nave and chancel. Chancel has
C19 choir stalls incorporating decorative Jacobean panelling, 3 on each side.
C17 communion rails originally enclosing north, south and west sides of altar
now re-sited but retaining turned balusters and double gates to centre.
Reredos slightly cut down c.1980 incorporates Jacobean panelling and, at
time of resurvey (April 1986), parts of early C19 box pews, formerly in nave
and north aisle. Many of these had brass plates with the name of the
family or house to which they belonged inscribed but have been entirely
replaced by Victorian pews from another church. Three-decker pulpit with
sounding board probably erected c.1810 but incorporating Jacobean woodwork,
formerly sited against the south wall has also been dismantled and is currently
stored at the west end of the north aisle pending reconstruction. 2 chairs
in sanctuary are probably Jacobean and 2 others have late medieval carved
bench ends as their backs. Octagonal C19 Perpendicular-style font with
pedestal. 2 oak chests at west end, one strongly bound with iron bands.
Stained glass by David Evans of Shrewsbury: St Peter and St Paul (nave,
third window from west) and St James and St John (north aisle, west window
in north wall); other glass with religious monograms and coats-of-arms of
local families in similar style throughout church; late C19 stained glass in
east window. Monuments: C18 hatchment of Viscount Dungannon immediately
to east of south door and C18 or C19 benefactors' board immediately to
east of infilled doorway in north aisle. C18 and C19 wall tablets and
memorials, most notable being Birch/Price memorial, erected 1823 (nave, south
side) and that to Richard Phillips, died 1821 (now in eastern bay of arcade)
by C.M. Seddon of Liverpool; kneeling woman holding cross in front of urn.
Grave slab commemorating Esther Stoakes (died 1747) re-erected in infilled
doorway in south wall of nave and brass plates fixed to pillars of arcade
in memory of Margaret Cupper (died 1695), Edward Phillips (died 1752) and
Richard Barkley (died 1779). B.O.E. p.239; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches
of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) pp. 826-9.
Listing NGR: SJ3225536305
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.