If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 8 October 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 255758
OS Grid Reference: SJ2663934026
OS Grid Coordinates: 326639, 334026
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8987, -3.0920
SELATTYN AND GOBOWEN C.P. SELATTYN
SJ 23 SE
4/45 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C13 nave and chancel, tower of 1703-4, north transept of
1821, south transept of 1828 (shortened 1892); north aisle and
restoration by C. Hodgson Fowler of Durham in 1892. Uncoursed and
roughly coursed gritstone and conglomerate rubble with ashlar dressings;
late C19 machine tile roofs. Nave and chancel in one; west tower;
transepts; north aisle and south porch. Tower. Datestone 1704 on south
side. 3 stages with embattled parapet and corner pinnacles; plinth and
multi-stepped diagonal butt- resses; C18 brass weathercock to north-west
corner. Belfry has windows of 2 lights with shouldered round-headed
arches, Anglo-Saxon in appearance and possibly reused from an earlier
tower; similar window to second stage on south. C19 west window. Nave:
south side has square-headed window of 3 trefoil- headed lights,
probably late C15, to east of doorway. Window to right also of 3 lights
but with right light now cut by transept, has more rounded cusping and
is probably C16; infilled narrow round-headed doorway beneath of
indeterminate but presumably earlier date as cut by cill of window.
Timber framed porch on sandstone ashlar walls erected 1892 in memory of
Rowland Jones Venables and his wife, Harriet; C13 single-chamfered
pointed south doorway. South transept: has late C19 Perpendicular-style
window to gable and pointed doorway of same date in east wall. Chancel:
south side has restored C17 square- headed window of 3 cusped lights;
C19 Perpendicular-style east window with contemporary roundel above.
North transept: shortened by the erection of the north aisle in 1892 has
window of 3 lights with intersecting tracery and cusped openings below
to gable; square-headed window with 2 cusped lights to west wall. Late
C19 doorway with shouldered arch to east wall. North aisle: 3-light
Perpendicular-style window to east wall and 3 plain square-headed
windows to north wall, that to left of 3 cusped lights and those to
centre and right with 2 cusped lights; 2-light Decorated-style window to
west wall. Stepped integral lateral stack with gabled top. Interior:
main feature is early C15 arch-braced collar beam roof in 8 bays to nave
and chancel with 2 tiers of cusped windbraces and cusped struts from
collars to similarly cusped principal rafters. 3 bays to chancel have
restored ceilure; cornice has elaborately carved quatrefoil decoration,
largely C19 but copied from section of original at east end of north
side; 3 bands of foliage decoration, the one at the apex also being
carved with dragons. Panels are decorated with a variety of tracery
patterns and have subsidiary rails with billet moulding and rose-shaped
bosses. C19 carved angels at junction between ceilure and nave roof.
Arch-braced roof of 1892 to north aisle. Late C19 low segmental pointed
tower arch and north arcade of 5 four-centred arches with 4 clustered
columns; similar arcade in 2 bays separates nave from south transept.
Chancel has raised and fielded wainscot panelling of 1747 and reredos
with Corinthian capitals. Panelling around walls of nave, north aisle
and south transept with fluted pilasters reuses panels from C18 box
pews. Above the door to the north transept (vestry) and in the south
transept are the remains of a C15 rood loft with carved decoration
similar to that of ceilure. C18 pulpit and altar rails with turned
balusters. Communion table is partly Jacobean as are 2 flanking chairs.
Chest at east end of north aisle incorporates some C17 and C18 work and
oak chest in nave is dated 1760. Probably C13 circular font has moulded
plinth on later moulded base and incised floral decoration to rim.
Stained glass in east window depicting crucifixion by Kempe (c.1876).
Stone above door to north transept, probably not in situ, has carvings
of 3 nails and a heart with date "1679" in raised lettering and probably
commemorates some alteration to the fabric. Monuments: plain C19 wall
tablets and memorials, most notable being that to Revd. Thomas Edwards
(died 1800), Rector of Llanfechain (Powys): draped urn. The roof at
Selattyn is very similar in detail to the one at St Martin's (q.v. under
Church of St Martin, St Martin's C.P.), although it is probably a little
earlier in date. B.O.E. p.240; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of
Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) pp. 830-33: Mrs Bulkeley-Owen, Selattyn: A
History of the Parish, (no date but c.1900).
Listing NGR: SJ2663834027
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.