If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Halston Hall Including Attached Flanking Walls and Balustrade to Rear
Date Listed: 19 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 255839
OS Grid Reference: SJ3392631653
OS Grid Coordinates: 333926, 331653
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8783, -2.9832
WHITTINGTON C.P. ELLESMERE ROAD (south side)
11/123 Halston Hall including
attached flanking walls
and balustrade to rear
19.1.52 (formerly listed as Halston
Country house. Circa 1690 with alterations by Robert Mylne for John Mytton
1766-68; further early to mid-C19 additions and alterations. Red brick with
chamfered stone angle quoins and moulded plinth; double-span slate roof with
coped verges and eaves parapet with ball finials to corners, including to those
of central block. 2 storeys and attic with continuous stone floor band and
moulded modillioned eaves cornice with elaborately carved brackets carried up
around central pediment; cellars. 2:5:2 bays, centre section forming pedimented
break with roundel in moulded stone surround to centre of pediment; glazing
bar sashes (15-paned to ground floor) with gauged heads and plain moulded stone
cills, including to 'dummy' window to lower right of pedimented section. Segmental-
shaped dormers with glazing bar sashes in bottom of roof slope, probably late
C18 or C19, one to each side of pediment and 2 to flanking wings. Central
entrance; probably early C18 porch with alternating bands of rustication, grooved
lintel with projecting keystone, segmental wooden pediment with cartouche and
8-paned glazing bar sashes to sides, approached by flight of 4 steps. Moulded
wooden door surround has 6-panel door with wreathed and radiating lead fanlight
set in larger rectangular overlight. Lead downpipes in angles between pediment
and flanking ranges. Red brick ridge stacks immediately in front of ridge
to left and right of pediment have 3 attached and rebated shafts with moulded
stone capping; similar stacks immediately in front of ridge to rear and valley
stack to centre. Integral end stacks with 7 attached and rebated shafts with
moulded stone capping over recessed blind round-headed arch, which carries the
flues to either side. Original arrangement to left gable end partly obscured
by later addition but right gable end has lunette window to attic over 2 sash
windows with gauged heads to first floor. Flanking screen walls to left and
right said to be c.1850. Red brick with stone dressings. Semi-circular with
11 blind round-headed arches divided by plain pilasters supporting moulded entabla-
ture; single-bay projections to ends and buttressed to rear. Garden front.
2 storeys and attic with same details as entrance front. 2:1:3:1:2 bays, outer
bays projecting and centre section forming slightly projecting break. Glazing
bar sashes (8-paned to ground floor) with gauged heads. Eaves parapet rebuilt
to original design in 1985. Balustrade in space between projecting wings,
approached by flight of 6 steps to centre has rather stumpy turned balusters.
Lower 5-bay service range slightly set back to right has glazing bar sashes
with gauged heads on each floor. Entrance through mid-C19 stone porch to left
with round-headed outer arch and plain entablature over contemporary half-glazed
inner door with blind semi-circular fanlight. Double-span slate roof with
tall integral end stack to right and similar stack roughly to centre of rear
ridge. Lower rectangular range slightly projecting to right is also early
C19 and has low-pitched hipped slate roof, partly concealed by coped parapet.
3 glazing bar sashes with gauged heads to right wall and integral stack with
wooden octagonal louvred lantern behind to left corner. Interior. Entrance
hall has stone-flagged floor and raised and fielded panelling to walls. Stone
fireplace with fluted consoles. Plaster ceiling with Gothic bosses and leaf
decoration to cornice looks Victorian. Double panelled doors in pilastered
doorcase to back wall leads to saloon. This is by Mylne with shallow bows
at each end and a fine door surround. Ornamental raised and fielded panelling
with delicate frieze and cornice. Pedimented glass-fronted wall cupboard to
left wall and Adam-style marble fireplaces in the centre of each bow. Concealed
door to room to left. Room to right of entrance hall is panelled and has built-
in wall cupboard with round-headed arch and fluted pilasters. Marble fireplace
with late C18 cast-iron hour-glass grate. Room to left of saloon has complete
raised and fielded panelling with cornice and C18 moulded marble fireplace.
Open-well staircase behind room to right of entrance hall has sturdy turned
balusters, plain newel posts and closed string: said to have been brought from
a house in Herefordshire. Gothic-style plaster ribbed ceiling above looks
Victorian. Several first-floor rooms have raised and fielded panelling with
moulded wooden cornices. Moulded wooden fireplaces, some with late C18 cast-
iron grates, including several of hour-glass type. Panelled doors throughout.
Attic rooms, formerly servants' quarters, have rooms with cast-iron Victorian
grates and sets of bells in corridor. One room has reused square oak panelling
including to roof slope; several inset panelled wall cupboards with H-hinges.
B.o.E. pp. 136-7; Colvin (1978), p.576; Christopher Gotch, 'Mylne and Adam',
Architectural Review (Feb 1956), p. 122; Francis Leach, The Country Seats of
Shropshire (1891), pp 386-8.
Listing NGR: SJ3392631653
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.