Description: Glan Yr Afon Hall and Attached Walls
Date Listed: 19 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 256609
OS Grid Reference: SJ2286824112
OS Grid Coordinates: 322868, 324112
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8090, -3.1457
LLANYBLODWEL C.P. B.4396 (north side)
SJ 22 SW
5/61 Glan-yr-afon Hall and
- attached walls (formerly
listed as Glan-yr-afon)
Small country house. Circa 1790 with minor later additions and alterations.
Red brick with painted ashlar dressings; low-pitched hipped slate roof
with red brick ridge stacks to left and right and shallow glass cupola
to centre. 3 x 3 bays. 2 storeys over semi-basement with rendered
stone plinth carried round above windows to east side and garden front.
First floor has continuous moulded floor band and plain cill band. Entrance
front with slightly recessed centre bay having tall 15-paned sash with moulded
stone architrave and entablature on first floor cutting through cill band. Central
entrance has composite stone columns supporting moulded entablature occupying
full width of bay. Half-glazed double doors with rectangular barred
overlight flanked by narrow rectangular windows. Glazing bar sashes
with painted stone wedge lintels to both floors on left and right. Garden
front has full-height central bow with tripartite glazing bar sashes divided
by demi-columns on both main floors, those to first floor with fluting
to bases and capitals. Plain moulded entablature to both windows, that
on first floor with bracketed delicate cast-iron balcony. Half-glazed
double doors to semi-basement flanked by blind windows with glazing bars
painted in imitation, stone band of plinth serving as continuous lintel.
Glazing bar sashes to left and right on all floors, those on first and
second floors with painted stone wedge lintels and those to semi-basement
of reduced proportions directly under stone band of plinth. East side
has 3 glazing bar sashes on each floor, those to semi-basement blind and
of reduced proportions with glazing bars painted in imitation. West side
has C20 panelled door with fluted columnar porch to right bay. Red brick
walls attached with ramped ashlar coping represent remains of conservatory.
Interior. Top-lit geometrical stone staircase with cast-iron stick balusters
and wreathed handrail in central entrance hall. Former drawing room
in bowed projection has elaborately carved plaster cornice with egg and
dart moulding and marble fireplace with Corinthian columns. Former
dining room has original plaster cornice and Kent-style wooden fireplace
brought from elsewhere. Panelled window shutters and raised and fielded
6-panel doors throughout.
Listing NGR: SJ2286824112
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.