If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Agatha
Date Listed: 21 October 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 256663
OS Grid Reference: SJ2674520798
OS Grid Coordinates: 326745, 320798
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7798, -3.0875
LLANYMYNECH AND PANT C.P. RECTORY LANE
SJ 22 SE (south side)
6/112 Church of St. Agatha
Parish church. 1844-5 by Thomas Penson on medieval site with further
work of 1879. Regularly coursed and dressed carboniferous limestone
with yellow brick and yellow sandstone dressings; graded slate roofs with
high coped verges and toothed decoration to gables. Nave, chancel,
north-west tower with porch beneath and south vestry. Neo-Norman style.
Tower. In 4 stages surmounted by pyramidal spire with fishscale tile
roof. Clasping corner buttresses with nook-shafts to bottom 3 stages,
nook-shaft only to belfry. Blind round-arched arcading, in 2 bays to
bottom stage, 3 bays to second stage and one bay to third stage; all arches
with ringed shafts, carved capitals and chevron decoration to heads; some
with windows. Dog-tooth band separating second and third stages. Belfry
has twin pointed openings within larger semi-circular opening, elaborate
zig-zag decoration to arches. Corbel table with carved human heads.
Spire has gabled lucarnes with round-headed windows; weathervane. Entrance
on east side through round-headed arch with 2 bands of zig-zag decoration
and one order of ring-shafts supporting carved captials. Nave. Buttressed
in 7 bays has corner buttresses carried up to form miniature corner turrets
with ring-shafts to angles. Plain corbel table. Tall round-arched
windows with zig-zag decoration, carved capitals and ring-shafts linked
by continuous hoodmould. South side has narrow round-headed doorway in
second bay from west. Fifth bay has gable breaking eaves with turret
similar to those of corner buttresses and blind round-headed windows to
either side of ridge of gabled vestry below which has 3 intersecting round-
headed arches, outer lights blind. Blind round-headed window above and
entrance through round-headed doorway on east; lean-to on west. Elaborately
detailed west front has 3 intersecting round-headed arches with 4 windows,
each with zig-zag decoration; 2 blind round-headed arches above. Chamfered
string course below intersecting arches has corbel table with carved human
heads. Nook-shafts carried down from outer shafts of outer windows frame
slightly recessed round-headed doorway, which has 3 bands of carved decor-
ation to arch and one order of ringed shafts. Pairs of round-headed
windows to left and right. Chancel has round-headed windows on north
and south. Corbel table to east wall, which has window of 5 round-
headed lights. Blind arcade of 10 small round-headed arches beneath
with plain shafts, carved capitals and zig-zag decoration to soffits.
Blind round-headed window to gable, which has Celtic cross to apex. Interior.
Arch-braced collar beam roof with king-posts corbelled responds in
6 bays to nave, in 2 bays to chancel. West gallery approached through
round-headed doorway on north, has round-arched blind arcading and is
supported on 2 cast-iron columns (painted to resemble wood) with neo-
Norman capitals. Round-headed chancel arch with tall ringed nook-shafts,
carved decoration to extrados and intrados and yellow brick hoodmould.
Blind round-headed arcade in 6 bays to north and south sides of chancel
and in 5 bays to east wall. Zig-zag decoration to window heads and ringed
nook-shafts in both nave and chancel, most elaborate to west end. Round-
headed doorway to vestry. Fittings and furnishings late C19 or later
including Perpendicular-style stone pulpit of 1878. Small octagonal
C19 font. Stained glass. East window by William Wailes (1855). Other
windows 1860s except for 2 early C20 windows in nave north wall. Monuments.
C18 brasses fixed to west wall. C18 and C19 wall tablets and memorials
from former church in gallery and tower, latter of which has massive pendulum
of clock made by local inventor, Richard Roberts. Wooden tablet above
west doorway commemorates rebuilding of church in 1844. B.o.E. p. 171;
D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), p. 801.
Listing NGR: SJ2674520798
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.