Description: Castle, Remains of
Date Listed: 19 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 256694
OS Grid Reference: SJ3945122158
OS Grid Coordinates: 339451, 322158
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7936, -2.8994
RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P. CHURCH STREET (north
SJ 32 SE side)
8/142 Castle , remains of
- [formerly listed as The
Castle (remains) (in
19.1.52 Church yard)]
Castle, remains of. Early C14 for Edmund, Earl of Arundel on site of
castle destroyed c.1212. Sandstone rubble masonry with facing removed.
Fragmentary remains of 3 walls of small square keep on slightly raised
platform; footings of another wall projecting at right-angles to north
from north-west corner. Walls stand to a maximum of 10m high and north
and south sections have rectangular inward-sloping openings of indeterminate
date. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 71. B.o.E. p. 238; D.H.S.
Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), pp. 823, 824-5.
Listing NGR: SJ3945122158
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.