British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Hampton Hall, Worthen with Shelve

Description: Hampton Hall

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 1 December 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 257419

OS Grid Reference: SJ3102605618
OS Grid Coordinates: 331026, 305618
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6439, -3.0208

Location: Worthen, Shropshire SY5 9JJ

Locality: Worthen with Shelve
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY5 9JJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SJ 30 NW

2/87 Hampton Hall

Country house. 1681-86 for Henry Powell, possibly incorporating parts of
and earlier house, altered 1749 for Edward Herbert; later additions
and alterations include range of 1938 set back to rear on left. Red
brick (left wing with thin bricks of mixed English and Flemish bonds);
slate roofs with crow-stepped gable ends to centre section and hipped
to projecting wings. Late C17 house comprised central rectangular
section with projecting wings to left and right; although left may
in fact be a rebuilding of an earlier structure. Central section:
apparently of 3 storeys over semi-basement but actually only of 2 to
left of entrance, partly rebuilt brick parapet with dentilled capping
conceals roof. 7 windows; flush-framed 8-paned glazing bar sashes
with gauged heads, those to ground floor are taller: second tier of
windows consists of pairs of roundels to left and right with 3 blind
rectangular openings to centre; 2 roundels to left are dummies while
that on right has had its original thick glazing bars replaced; semi-
basement has 4 small segmental-headed windows, 2 to left of entrance
blind. Central entrance; sandstone ashlar porch, approached by straight
flight of 12 steps, has round-headed open arches to front and sides
with shaped pediment broken by Herbert coat-of-arms: dated 1749 with
numbers "17" inscribed to left of keystone of front arch and "49" to
right; 8-panel double inner doors. Left wing: projecting brick plinth
has slate capping and may represent part of an earlier building; date
1686 in large sandstone numbers to left and right of second-floor windows
with letters "H P" picked out in brick to centre, refers to completion
of late C17 house. 2 storeys over semi-basement, moulded wooden eaves
cornice and continuous floor band; 2 windows, flush-framed 8-paned
glazing bar sashes with gauged heads to both floors, segmental-headed
openings to semi-basement partly infilled and with later windows inserted.
Left return has 3 glazing bar sashes on each floor, 2 to left and one
to right of integral brick stack, which has recessed rectangular panel
with curious cracker-shaped relief and dentilled band at eaves level;
slate-hung hip-roofed dormers to left and right. Right return has
blocked windows on each floor in angle with centre section. Right
wing; probably slightly later than centre section (see straight joint)
and built to balance existing left wing: 2 storeys over semi-basement
with moulded eaves cornice and floor band as on left wing; 2 glazing
bar sashes on each floor with segmental-headed windows to semi-basement
as in centre section. Right return has 3 segmental-headed windows
with mixture of mid-C19 sashes and casements on each floor and narrow
late C20 casement inserted on first floor; slate-hung hip-roofed dormers
in roof slope, one to left and 3 to right of tall integral lateral
stack with blind openings on each floor within shaft; integral end
stack to right. Most prominent feature is 2-storey bow added to far
left c.1749. Red brick with sandstone ashlar dressings. Moulded cornice
with coped brick parapet surmounted by stone eagle with outspread wings;
Venetian window on first floor with Ionic capitals and original thick
glazing bars; stone floor band and plain pedimented stone doorcase
with 4-panel door approached by flight of 5 semi-circular steps; half-
glazed door to right and brick mounting block. Tall crow-stepped gabled
projection to rear, also added c.1749, houses main staircase. Interior:
main room (to left of entrance) has late C17 moulded stone fireplace
and painted C18 panelling; one room in right wing is completely oak
panelled with dado and large bevelled panels reaching to moulded cornice,
characteristic of early C18 work; fireplace with swagged overmantel
in same room is contemporary. Wide mid-C18 staircase with 3 elaborately
twisted balusters to each shallow tread, moulded handrail and open
string; plainer oak staircase in right wing is probably late C17.
Several panelled rooms on first floor with simple decoration to friezes;
panelled doors and shutters to windows throughout. Obliquely truncated
stone inscribed "1681/H-P/I-F" (Henry Powell, son of John Powell) in
stone cellar of left wing probably commemorates the beginning of the
late C17 building but is not in situ. Several urn-shaped finials,
formerly situated on the brick parapet of the centre section, are now
in the garden (not included in this list). 3-bay Georgian-style brick
range, dated 1938, set back to rear on left. B.O.E. p.138; Trans.
Salop Arch. Soc. Series 4, Vol. 9 (1923-4) pp.228-9.

Listing NGR: SJ3102605618

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.