Description: The Malthouse and Number 14 (Malthouse Cottage)
Date Listed: 1 December 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 257661
OS Grid Reference: SO3916881683
OS Grid Coordinates: 339168, 281683
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4297, -2.8961
HOPESAY C.P. CLUN ROAD (south side),
SO 38 SE
4/156 The Malthouse and No. 14
- (Malthouse Cottage) (formerly
listed as Naylor's Stores)
House, latterly partly converted to malthouse, then shop, now reverted
to domestic use. Mid-C17, partly remodelled early C19 with later
additions and alterations. Timber framed with rendered infill;
painted uncoursed limestone rubble plinth and additions; plain tile roof.
2 storeys with 3 storeys to former malthouse, including semi-basement.
Framing: square panels, 2½ from high cill to wall-plate. Casements all
C19 except for 2 pairs of C20 leaded casements to timber framed part and
C17 wooden mullion window with C20 leaded lights to upper right. Half-
glazed door to left and nail-studded plank door to right, approached by
external lateral stone steps with C20 nail-studded plank door beneath.
Interior: considerably altered late C20 but retains chamfered ceiling
beams and exposed joists to former malthouse. Timber framed part and
rubblestone addition to right has double-purlin roof in 3 bays with mixture
of collar and tie beam trusses and raking struts from tie beams to
principal rafters. Gabled projection to rear formerly housing kiln now
converted to kitchen.
Listing NGR: SO3916881683
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.